Have leftover rice from dinner last night? Make this Asparagus Fried Rice with Jasmine rice, crushed garlic, sliced asparagus, and green onions for a perfect #BrunchWeek dish.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored in conjunction with #BrunchWeek. I received product samples from sponsor companies to aid in the creation of the #Brunchweek recipes. All opinions are mine alone.
I made this Asparagus Fried Rice in the Filipino Sinangag-style with plenty of crushed garlic and paired it with sliced asparagus and green onions for a light, springtime breakfast. I didn’t have any available for this latest batch, but I love using thin and tender asparagus spears so the pieces don’t overpower the small grains of rice. Add a splash or two of soy sauce if desired, but I particularly enjoy the simplicity of purely garlic, salt, pepper, and toasted rice to help the flavors of the vegetables shine through.
This dish is best with day-old refrigerated Jasmine rice. Crumble the rice as you add it to the wok, then use a spoon or spatula to break up the larger pieces. The rice will separate more easily as it heats. Keep the pan hot and stir constantly to keep the rice from sticking to the bottom.
I served the Asparagus Fried Rice with Tapa (Filipino Dried Cured Beef) and an Eggland’s Best fried egg to make a favorite breakfast dish- Tapsilog (tap for tapa, si for sinangag, and log for itlog/egg). You can also pair the rice with longganisa to make Longsilog, tocino for Tocilog, sisig for Sisilog, or even spam for Spamsilog.
Take a look at what the #BrunchWeek Bloggers are creating!
- Carrot Grapefruit Smoothie from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Cranberry Orange Mimosas from The PinterTest Kitchen
- Hazelnut Coffee Syrup from The Redhead Baker
- Egg & Asparagus BLT Salad from Sweet Beginnings
BrunchWeek Egg Dishes:
- California Club Omelet from The Barbee Housewife
- Quick & Easy Cheesy Cheddar Asparagus Frittata from 4 Sons ‘R’ Us
- Huevos Rancheros Cups from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Kuku Sabzi (Persian Herb Omelette) from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
BrunchWeek Breads, Grains, and Pastries:
- New York Style Garlic Knots from Girl Abroad
- Pecan Belgian Waffles with Strawberry Sauce from Family Around the Table
- Savory French Toast with Asparagus from Forking Up
BrunchWeek Main Dishes:
- Breakfast Macaroni and Cheese from Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Canadian Bacon, Egg & Asparagus Quesadilla from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
BrunchWeek Fruits, Vegetables and Sides:
- Asparagus Fried Rice from Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Asparagus Bacon Rollups from For the Love of Food
- Creamy Baked Cheesy Asparagus from Daily Dish Recipes
- Roasted Asparagus with Parmesan from Books n’ Cooks
- Blueberry Raspberry Chocolate Bark from Caroline’s Cooking
- Raspberry Chocolate Cheesecake from The Crumby Kitchen
- Red Velvet Cake Macaron from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Succulent Vanilla Sugar Cookies from Love and Confections
Asparagus Fried Rice Recipe
Adapted from Panlasang Pinoy
Asparagus Fried Rice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 3 green onions thinly sliced
- 1 bunch asparagus woody stem discarded and sliced into 3/4 inch pieces
- 4 cups day-old cooked Jasmine rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a large wok, drizzle oil over medium high heat. Add the garlic when starting to become hot, but not fully heated. Cook until golden, then add the green onions and asparagus. Cook, stirring often, until the asparagus is bright green and tender.
- Crumble in the cooked jasmine rice, using a spoon to break up the larger pieces. Cook, stirring constantly, until heated through and thoroughly combined with the vegetables, about 5 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.