A recipe for Braaibroodjie (South African Grilled Cheese Sandwich)! This grilled sandwich is packed with cheese, tomato, onion, and mango chutney.
Translating in Afrikaans to Barbecue Bread, these South African sandwiches are the perfect accompaniment to a Braai, South African Barbeque.
I came across a few variations of Braaibroodjies while researching, but kept this recipe simple with shredded white Cheddar cheese, thinly sliced tomatoes and onions, and a layer of mango chutney.
These few basic ingredients combined between two slices of bread creates quite the fantastic sandwich with a blend of smoky, sweet, and savory flavors.
A Few Tips
To help hold especially large Braaibroodjies together, I have seen some sandwiches tied together with twine or string. If you do this, soak the food/heat-safe twine in water for a few minutes before grilling to keep it from burning.
A grill basket is also helpful to keep the sandwiches intact.
Braaibroodjie is best grilled over hot coals or a wood fire to help absorb the smokey flavor.
Keep an eye on the temperature of the grill. The heat should be lower to toast the bread, but also give the cheese a chance to melt.
I topped the sandwiches with freshly shredded cheese, but you can use cheese slices. The type of cheese can also be swapped for another favorite such as Gruyère. Just make sure it melts easily since there is a fairly short cooking time.
If you don’t love raw onions, you can grill them first before adding to the sandwiches or even caramelize them. I have seen the use of both white/yellow onions or red onions.
Mango chutney is originally an Indian condiment made from fruits/vegetables and spices that were brought to South Africa by the British. I have been able to find the chutney in larger grocery stores and markets with South African or South Asian ingredients.
Immaculate Bites also has a recipe for homemade Mango Chutney.
I haven’t tried it yet, but Greedy Gourmet has a Mrs Balls Chutney Copycat recipe.
Looking for more South African recipes?
- Hertzoggies (South African Jam and Coconut Tartlets)
- Pannekoek (South African Crepes with Cinnamon Sugar)
This recipe was originally posted in February 2013 and updated in May 2022.
Braaibroodjie (South African Grilled Cheese Sandwich) Recipe
Adapted from The Kitchn
Braaibroodjie (South African Grilled Cheese Sandwich)
- 8 slices white bread
- 8 tablespoons (113 grams) unsalted butter softened at room temperature
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) mango chutney or Mrs Balls Chutney
- 8 ounces (227 grams) sharp white cheddar shredded
- 2 large tomatoes thinly sliced
- 1 large onion peeled and thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat grill to medium low heat.
- Spread softened butter over both sides of each slice of bread.
- On half of the slices, spread a layer of mango chutney.
- Top the other slices with cheese.
- Cover the cheese with the onion and tomato slices, Season with salt and pepper, then top with the other slices, chutney side down towards the tomatoes.
- Grill the sandwiches until the bread is golden brown and the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes per side.
- Serve immediately.