Breakfast Nachos recipe for #FoodieExtravaganza! Tortilla chips are layered with cheese, breakfast sausage, eggs, avocado, salsa, and sour cream for delicious snack served any time of the day.
Foodie Extravaganza is where we celebrate obscure food holidays by cooking and baking together with the same ingredient or theme each month. Stacy of Food Lust People Love is hosting this month and decided to feature National Nachos Day! Other foods celebrated in November are the cappuccino, baklava, cashew, mousse, deep fried clams, vanilla cupcake, bison, pomegranate, and more.
Posting day is always the first Wednesday of each month. If you are a blogger and would like to join our group and blog along with us, come join our Facebook page Foodie Extravaganza. We would love to have you! If you’re a spectator looking for delicious tid-bits check out our Foodie Extravaganza Pinterest Board!
Today is National Nachos Day! I actually have very little experience making or eating nachos, so this was definitely a fun challenge. While looking through recipe ideas, I came across Breakfast Nachos and was immediately hooked. Tortilla chips are layered with two types of shredded cheese and breakfast sausage, then baked until golden and bubbly. Serve immediately topped with fried eggs, salsa, avocado, green onions, cilantro, sour cream, and a bit of salt and pepper for an easy and delicious snack.
I fried the eggs and kept the yolks still a little runny for personal preference, but they would also be great scrambled. I used some maple breakfast sausage I had on hand, but you can also crumble in some cooked bacon or even chorizo.
To make the sour cream easier to drizzle, whisk in a couple tablespoons or so of milk until thinned. Transfer to a squeeze bottle or small ziplock bag with a corner snipped off for better control.
Check out what everyone else made!
- Beef Fajita Nachos Compuestos from Food Lust People Love
- Beer Brat Nachos from Palatable Pastime
- Breakfast Nachos from Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Chorizo Nachos from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Garam Masala Lamb Naan-chos from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Homemade Deep Fried Nachos With Cheese Sauce from Sneha’s Recipe
- Leftover Turkey Nachos with Cranberry Salsa from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pizza Nachos from Making Miracles
Breakfast Nachos Recipe
Adapted from Food Network
- 12 ounces tortilla chips
- 5 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese
- 5 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 6 ounces breakfast sausage or bacon, cooked and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 4 eggs
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 1 avocado peeled, pit removed, and diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup salsa divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375˚F. Lightly grease a large, rimmed baking sheet or line with parchment.
- Arrange half of the chips in a single layer on the baking sheet. Top evenly with half of the cheese and sausage (or bacon).
- Cover with the remaining chips, followed by the remaining cheese and sausage.
- Bake in preheated oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly and everything is heated through, 8-12 minutes.
To top the Breakfast Nachos:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream and milk until thin enough to drizzle. Add a little more milk if needed. Set aside.
- Place a large skillet over medium-low heat. Lightly grease and cook the eggs, either fried or scrambled. Arrange over the nachos. Top with the green onions, avocado, cilantro, thinned sour cream, salsa, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the Breakfast Nachos immediately with additional salsa.