Here is a way to turn a ripe cantaloupe into a light and refreshing summer salad. The cantaloupe is cubed, then tossed with red onion, mozzarella, and basil. It is drizzled with olive oil, red wine vinegar, and lime juice. Evan wouldn’t touch it, but I loved the flavor and had it for lunch a couple of days in a row. It is even better after refrigerating overnight. I used a mixture of sweet and purple basil from my garden.
Adapted from The Kitchn
- 1 medium cantaloupe 1 inch cubes
- 10-20 basil leaves thinly sliced
- 1/4 red onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella balls quartered or 1/2 inch cubes
- olive oil for drizzling
- red wine vinegar for drizzling
- 1 lime juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the cubed cantaloupe pieces, basil, red onion, and mozzarella. Lightly drizzle the mixture with olive oil and red wine vinegar. Add a little more vinegar compared to olive oil. Add the lime juice, salt, pepper and toss to coat.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate up to overnight.