A recipe for Cheddar Chive Muffins! These muffins are packed with shredded cheddar cheese and chopped chives for a quick, savory breakfast or brunch treat.
These Cheddar Chive Muffins come together easily in about 30 minutes. Depending on what I have available in the garden, I even love to make them with garlic chives!
Garlic chives look similar to chives, but have long, thin, flat leaves with white flowers and a light onion flavor with a hint of garlic. Be particularly careful when growing them. They easily spread.
If desired, sprinkle some additional shredded cheese over the muffins before placing them in the oven to create an extra crisp, cheesy topping. When adding the cheese, try to keep the pieces in the center and away from the edges of the tin to prevent sticking.
Want to add even more flavor to these muffins? Mix some crispy, finely chopped cooked bacon into the batter before transferring to the muffin tins.
A Few Tips
Blend together the ingredients just enough to combine everything. Over-mixing will create a tougher texture.
If the mixture is too loose, add a little more flour (be careful not to add too much). If the batter is too dry to scoop, mix in a little more milk.
Fill each muffin tin about 3/4 full. I slightly overfilled a standard ice cream scoop to transfer the batter to each of the prepared muffin tins. I have found this to be the easiest way to get a consistent size.
These muffins are delicious straight from the oven while they are still piping hot, but they have a tendency to stick to the liners due to the cheese. They are best baked in greased muffin tins or allow them to cool before attempting to remove from the liner.
Looking for more muffin recipes?
Cheddar Chive Muffins Recipe
Adapted from Sugarcrafter
Cheddar Chive Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives or garlic chives
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted and slightly cooled
- Preheat oven to 375˚F. Line muffin tins with liners or lightly grease.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix in the cheese and chives.
- Make a well in the center and add beaten egg, milk, and butter. Stir together until the ingredients are just combined.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tins 3/4 full. Bake in preheated oven until golden and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 20-25 min.