A recipe for Cherry Tomato Mozzarella Salad! Halved cherry tomatoes are tossed in a light olive oil balsamic dressing with fresh mozzarella and basil for a delicious summertime salad.
Inspired by the Italian Insalata Caprese, this Cherry Tomato Mozzarella Salad features some of the best of summer with halved cherry tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and basil lightly coated in a balsamic vinaigrette.
It is definitely one of my favorite summer salads and comes together in less than 15 minutes!
During the height of tomato season, I like to use a mixture of cherry and/or grape tomatoes in a variety of colors. I paired the halved cherry tomatoes with Ciliegine or Bocconcini Mozzarella, smaller fresh mozzarella balls. Since they are already the perfect size, it makes prep even easier! If you don’t have them available, simply cut a larger ball of mozzarella into about 1/2 inch cubes.
I kept the dressing simple with a combination of olive oil, balsamic vinegar (use white balsamic if you want to keep the mozzarella lighter), dried oregano, and a pinch of salt and black pepper. Adjust the seasonings as needed to taste. If the tomatoes aren’t very sweet, you may want to add a pinch of granulated sugar.
I left the basil leaves whole, but feel free to thinly slice or chop them, especially if they are larger. Love balsamic vinegar like I do? Top the salad with a drizzle of balsamic reduction immediately before serving for even more flavor. I usually have a bottle of store-bought in the pantry, but I Heart Naptime has a recipe to make it at home.
This Cherry Tomato Mozzarella Salad is best served immediately after preparing. The tomatoes will lose their texture and flavor when refrigerated.
Looking for more tomato-based recipes?
- Farro Salad with Kale and Roasted Tomatoes
- Šalša (Croatian Tomato Sauce)
- Domatosoupa Me Kritharaki (Greek Tomato Soup with Orzo).
Cherry Tomato Mozzarella Salad Recipe
Adapted from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe
Cherry Tomato Mozzarella Salad
- 1 pound cherry or grape tomatoes halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar regular or white balsamic if you want to keep the mozzarella lighter
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella Bocconcini or diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- Balsamic glaze optional, to taste
- Place the halved cherry tomatoes in a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper. Adjust the seasonings to taste.
- Pour the dressing over the cherry tomatoes and toss the coat. Toss in the fresh mozzarella, followed by the fresh basil.
- Serve immediately. If desired, top with a few more fresh basil leaves or even a drizzle of balsamic glaze.