A recipe for Chocolate Chip Biscotti. This twice-baked cookie is studded with semi-sweet chocolate chips and perfect for pairing with coffee or hot chocolate.
I have made quite a few biscotti recipes over the past few days and these Chocolate Chip Biscotti are one of my new favorites!
Since the cookies have been twice-baked until crisp, they can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
This makes the Chocolate Chip Biscotti a perfect option for holiday gifts! They are better able to withstand shipping with proper packaging compared to other, more fragile cookies.
A Few Tips
The easy dough comes together quickly and is divided into two equal pieces. Each piece is formed into a log about 1/2 inch (1 centimeter) tall and 3 inches (7 1/2 centimeters) wide. The logs are baked until set and golden on the bottom, then allowed to cool at room temperature.
I generally let these Chocolate Chip Biscotti cool a little longer than other biscotti recipes before slicing to give the chocolate a chance to slightly harden. This, along with keeping a paper towel handy to wipe excess chocolate from the knife, will help keep the chocolate from spreading too much over the cookies.
Each log is then sliced on the diagonal into individual cookies about 3/4 inch (2 centimeters) thick before arranging again on the cookie sheet and baking for a second time until crisp, 10-15 minutes. For even more of a crispy texture, flip the sliced cookies and cook for an additional 10 minutes on the other side before cooling to room temperature.
Adjust the amount of chocolate chips as desired. I usually fold in a full 1 1/2 cups (200 grams). Drop down to 1 cup (130 grams) for a lighter chocolate flavor. You can also swap the regular chocolate chips for miniature for a more even distribution.
Want to add a more festive look? Dip the ends of the biscotti into melted chocolate or drizzle over the tops and cover with your favorite holiday sprinkles.
Looking for more Biscotti recipes?
Chocolate Chip Biscotti Recipe
Adapted from Brown Eyed Baker
Chocolate Chip Biscotti
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter softened at room temperature
- 3/4 cup (165 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups (375 grams) all purpose flour
- 1- 1 1/2 cups (130-200 grams) semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350˚F (180˚C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then the vanilla extract. Slowly add baking powder, salt, and flour until dough comes together. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal pieces. Form one of the pieces into a log about 12 inches (30 1/2 cm) long. Place near the edge of the prepared baking sheet and gently flatten until about 3 inches (7 1/2 centimeters) wide and 1/2 inch (1 centimeter) thick. Repeat with other half of the dough.
- Bake in preheated oven until set and the bottom is golden brown, about 25 minutes. Remove from oven and allow sit at room temperature for 20 minutes until cool to touch.
- Use a serrated bread knife to cut each log on the diagonal into 1/2-3/4 inch (1.25- 2 centimeter) thick slices. Return slices to baking sheet, cut side down. Bake for another 10-15 minutes, until crisp.
- Allow to cool to room temperature and store in airtight container for up to about 2 weeks.