A recipe for Chocolate Covered Pretzel Cupcakes and a giveaway in celebration of my sixth blogiversary! Chocolate cupcakes are covered with a salted caramel buttercream, drizzled with chocolate and caramel sauce, and topped with a chocolate covered pretzel for the finishing touch.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you.
Chocolate Covered Pretzel Cupcakes
Tara’s Multicultural Table turned six years old last week and I am celebrating with these Chocolate Covered Pretzel Cupcakes! The inspiration for the cupcakes actually came from my recipe for Chocolate Covered Pretzel Hot Chocolate. Rich, chocolate cupcakes are covered with a salted caramel buttercream and garnished with chocolate and caramel sauce, a chocolate covered pretzel, and a small sprig of mint. You can even add a sprinkling of crushed pretzels or mix them right into the buttercream like Elizabeth of Sugarhero.
The chocolate covered pretzels can be store-bought or you can make your own by dipping small pretzel twists into melted dark chocolate and allowing them to set on parchment. The mint is completely optional, but I have a ton growing in my backyard and liked the contrast in color (plus this helped them match the hot chocolate).
As a thank you to all of my readers, I am also hosting a giveaway with a few of my favorite products from this year. Featured in the giveaway is the following for a retail value of $75.96 :
- A copy of The Immigrant Cookbook: Recipes That Make America Great (see the review here).
- An 8 ounce Phin (Vietnamese Coffee Filter Set). I used the Phin to make this Cà Phê Trứng (Vietnamese Egg Coffee).
- Stainless Steel Coconut Slicer. The coconut slicer was perfect for shredding cantaloupe for Melon sa Malamig (Filipino Cantaloupe Drink).
- I also included a couple of Japanese puzzle eraser (omokeshi) sets. Since we have moved to Los Angeles, the kids have really enjoyed these from the local Japanese markets. One features Chinese dim sum while the other has traditional Japanese sweets.
Giveaway Entry Rules: Enter the giveaway below to win The Immigrant Cookbook, 8 ounce Phin, Stainless Steel Coconut Slicer, and two Japanese Puzzle Eraser Sets. No purchase necessary. You must be 18 years or older and reside in the continental United States. The giveaway will open on Monday, November 5th, 2018 and close on Monday, November 12th, 2018 at 11:59 pm EST. I will randomly choose one winner from the comments via Rafflecopter and contact via the email. The number of eligible entries received determine the odds of winning. You will have 24 hours to respond via email or another comment will be randomly chosen. Void where prohibited by law.
Enter the Giveaway through Rafflecopter below:
Chocolate Covered Pretzel Cupcakes Recipe
Chocolate Covered Pretzel Cupcakes
- 12 tablespoons (6 ounces, 170 grams) unsalted butter room temperature
- 2/3 cup (4.75 ounces, 135 grams) granulated sugar
- 2/3 cups (5 ounces, 142 grams) packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- t teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1 cup (8 ounces, 237 milliliters) buttermilk
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces, 118 milliliters) sour cream
- 1 3/4 cups (7.8 ounces, 221 grams) all purpose flour
- 1 cup (3 ounces, 85 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces, 225 grams) unsalted butter room temperature
- 4 3/4 cups (21 ounces, 600 grams) powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup (59 milliliters) caramel sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-3 tablespoons milk
- Chocolate Sauce
- Caramel Sauce
- Chocolate covered pretzels
- Fresh mint optional
To make the chocolate cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350˚F (177˚C). Line 24 muffin tins with cupcake liners or lightly grease.
- In a large bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat together the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, followed by the vanilla extract and espresso powder.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the buttermilk and sour cream.
- In another bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add 1/4 of the flour mixture to the mixer and beat on low speed until just combined. Add 1/3rd of the buttermilk mixture, followed by another 1/4th of the flour mixture. Continue until all the ingredients have been incorporated.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared muffin tins, filling them 3/4 full (I use an ice cream scoop). Bake in preheated oven just until cooked through and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 20-22 minutes. Allow to cool on wire racks.
To make the caramel buttercream:
- In a large bowl, beat the butter until light and creamy using a hand mixer. Slowly beat in the powdered sugar until well combined followed by the caramel and salt.
- Add 1-3 tablespoons of the milk as needed to reach the desired consistency for piping.
- Transfer the buttercream to a piping bag fitted with desired tip and pipe onto the cooled, room temperature cupcakes.
- Top each caramel buttercream covered cupcake with a drizzle of chocolate sauce, caramel sauce, one chocolate covered pretzel, and a small sprig of mint. Serve immediately.