A recipe for Coconut Lime Baked Donuts! These easy, baked doughnuts are topped with a sweet lime glaze, toasted coconut, and lime zest for a fun, refreshing treat.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you.
I recently had some extra limes that I needed to use up, so I finally updated these Coconut Lime Baked Donuts!
The coconut milk and lime zest base comes together easily with only a bowl and a whisk. The resulting batter is then transferred to a doughnut pan, baked until golden, topped with a sweet lime glaze, toasted coconut, and additional lime zest for even more flavor and a pop of color.
A Few Tips
I used this doughnut pan on Amazon to make the round baked doughnuts. The easiest way to fill the (well-greased) pan is to transfer the batter to a piping bag or large ziploc bag with the corner snipped off.
You can also gently spoon the batter in until each cavity is 2/3 full. Don’t have a doughnut pan? Use a mini muffin pan to make doughnut bites- the cooking time may vary.
Bake the donuts until puffed and barely golden. The tops should spring back when lightly touched. Ten minutes is usually perfect for me.
Allow the doughnuts to rest in the pan for about 5 minutes before removing. This will make them easier to move without the risk of sticking to the pan or crumbling.
Wait until the doughnuts have cooled to room temperature before adding the glaze and toppings. They are best within a few hours of baking.
I topped the Coconut Lime Baked Donuts with a mixture of plain and toasted finely shredded coconut for a little contrast.
To toast the coconut flakes, arrange them in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake at 325˚F for 5-10 minutes. You can also toast them in a pan on the stovetop while continuously stirring until golden. Keep an eye on them. They will burn quickly after developing that golden color.
Looking for more Baked Donut recipes?
Coconut Lime Baked Donuts Recipe
Adapted from On Sugar Mountain
Coconut Lime Baked Donuts
- 1 1/2 cups (190 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup (160 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons (15 grams) cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch freshly ground nutmeg
- 2/3 cup (160 milliliters) coconut milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons (30 grams) unsalted butter melted and slightly cooled
- Zest from 2 limes
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (170 grams) powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) lime juice
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) milk
- Unsweetened, finely shredded coconut toasted
- Lime zest
To make the doughnuts:
- Preheat oven to 350˚F (180˚C). Lightly grease 2-3 doughnut pans.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, eggs, butter, lime zest, and vanilla extract. Mix into the flour mixture just until incorporated with no lumps.
- Transfer the batter to a piping bag or a large ziploc bag with the corner snipped off. Pipe the batter into prepared doughnut pans. Each cavity should be about 2/3 full.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden and the tops spring back when lightly pressed, 10-12 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely to room temperature.
To make the glaze:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and lime juice. Slowly add milk until smooth. If too thin, add more powdered sugar. If too thick, add more milk or lime juice to taste.
- Immediately dip the tops of the doughnuts in the glaze and top with toasted coconut and lime zest. Allow to set briefly before serving.