Honey Peach Ice Cream for #FoodieExtravaganza’s celebration of peaches!
This month, #FoodieExtravaganza is featuring Peaches and I am joining in with a recipe for Honey Peach Ice Cream! Foodie Extravaganza is a monthly party hosted by bloggers who love food! Each month we incorporate one main ingredient or theme from The Nibble into recipes to share with you and Wendy of A Day in the Life on the Farm is hosting National Peach Month. Other foods celebrated in August include beer, mustard, creamsicle, filet mignon, bratwurst, lemonade, waffle, bacon, and trail mix.
If you are a blogger and would like to join our group and blog along with us, come join our Facebook page Foodie Extravaganza. Posting day is alway the first Wednesday of the month. We would love to have you! If you’re a spectator looking for delicious tid-bits check out our Foodie Extravaganza Pinterest Board! Looking for our previous parties? Check them out HERE.
It has been way too long since I have pulled out the ice cream maker and this peach event was the perfect opportunity to dust it off. Chopped peaches are simmered in honey until softened and blended into a smooth puree before combining with a vanilla-based custard and churning until creamy. The peaches are the star here so try to use the ripest, best-tasting peaches available to really make the flavor pop.
The original recipe purees half of the peaches while saving the chopped squares of the remaining two until towards the end of churning so there are bits of peach throughout. Evan and I were in the mood for a more creamy, smooth ice cream, so we pureed all four peaches and added it to the custard.
To peel the peaches: Place a large bowl of ice water next to the stove. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Score the bottom of each peach with an X and gently place in the boiling water. Boil for 45 seconds before removing with a slotted spoon and transferring to the ice water. Remove after 30 seconds and peel off the skins.
Check out what everyone else made for the event!
- Halloumi Freekeh Peach Salad by Food Lust People Love
- Honey Peach Ice Cream by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Mini Peaches and Cream French Toast Casserole by Cookaholic Wife
- Peach and Orange Smoothie by Sneha’s Recipe
- Peach BBQ Sauce by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Peach Crumble Bars by Palatable Pastime
- Peach Panna Cotta by Caroline’s Cooking
- Peach Sorbet by Hardly A Goddess
- Peach Tomato Salad with Herb Vinaigrette by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Honey Peach Ice Cream Recipe
Honey Peach Ice Cream
- 4 large ripe peaches peeled and pitted
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Chop the peeled and pitted peaches into 1/2 inch pieces. Place in a small saucepan with the honey. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low. Cover the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, just until the peaches are soft, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and carefully blend using an immersion blender or stand blender.
- In a larger saucepan, combine the milk and cream over medium heat.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg yolks with the sugar. While continuing to beat, slowly pour in a tablespoon of the heated milk and cream. Once incorporated, slowly stream in and whisk another 1/2 cup. Slowly pour the mixture back into the saucepan over medium heat while whisking. Cook while continuing to stir until just thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon, 170-180 degrees F. Remove from heat and transfer to a heat-safe bowl. Mix in the pureed peach and vanilla extract. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled, a few hours to overnight.
- Transfer the chilled mixture to an ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturer's instructions. Once thickened and creamy, transfer to a freezer-sage container and freeze until firm, about 2 hours.