A recipe for Green Tea Almond Biscotti! These lightly sweetened, twice-baked cookies are flavored with matcha (green tea powder) and slivered almonds.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you.
These Green Tea Almond Biscotti have beautiful green coloring and a light, delicate flavor. Their crisp texture makes them perfect for pairing with tea or coffee. The sugar topping adds a little extra crunch and sweetness.
Since the cookies have been twice-baked until crisp, they can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks. This also makes them a better choice for holiday gifts. They are better able to withstand shipping with proper packaging compared to other cookies.
This recipe makes about 14-16 biscotti, but it can easily be doubled and divided into two logs.
If you really love almonds, you can bump up the amount to 1/2 cup slivered almonds.
What to add a bit more flair? Dip the cooled biscotti into melted white chocolate or drizzle white/dark chocolate over each piece. Allow to set before serving.
Matcha is a powder created by grinding whole green tea leaves. There are various grades. The higher quality grades are made from the fine, new leaves from the very top of the Camellia sinensis tea bush. Use the premium grades for drinking, while the lower culinary grades are fine for baking. Be careful when storing matcha. It can become stale and brownish when exposed to oxygen. I have been able to find matcha at the local Asian food markets and more recently in the tea section of larger supermarkets. It is also available on Amazon: Jade Leaf Matcha Green Tea Powder.
Looking for more recipes using Green Tea or Matcha?
Green Tea Almond Biscotti
Adapted from A Cozy Kitchen
Green Tea Almond Biscotti
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter softened at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tablespoons matcha
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1 egg
- 1-2 tablespoon raw or granulated sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or lightly grease.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in the eggs, one at a time, followed by the vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, matcha, baking powder, and salt. Slowly mix into the butter mixture until just combined. Fold in the slivered almonds.
- On the prepared baking sheet, form the dough into a 12 inch long log, about 1/2 inch thick and 3 inches wide. Reduce oven temperature to 275 degrees F.
- Beat the egg in a small bowl and brush over the top of the log of dough. Sprinkle with the raw or granulated sugar.
- Bake in the preheated oven until firm and golden on the bottom, 22-25 minutes. Allow to cool until able to be handled.
- Reduce oven temperature to 275˚F. Use a serrated knife to cut the log on the diagonal into 1/2 inch thick slices. Arrange the slices back on the baking sheet, cut side down. Bake until crisp, 15-20 minutes. Flip the cookies to the other side and continue to bake until other side is crisp, another 15-20 minutes. Allow to cool to room temperature before storing in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.