A recipe for Green Tea Muffins! These lightly sweetened muffins have an earthy flavor perfect for any green tea/matcha lover.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you.
These Green Tea Muffins come together in less than 30 minutes for a quick and easy addition to breakfast! I kept the muffins simple with just the matcha, but there is plenty of room to build on this recipe with additional flavors. Mix in some chocolate chips or blueberries for a fun twist. They would also be delicious with a large pinch of lemon zest.
Be careful not to overmix the batter. This will create a tougher muffin. Fill each muffin tin about 3/4 full. I slightly overfilled a standard ice cream scoop to transfer the batter to each of the prepared muffin tins. I have found this to be the easiest way to get a consistent size.
These Green Tea Muffins are best the day they are made, especially warm from the oven.
Want to add a bit more sweetness? Increase the sugar by about 1/4 cup or even mix some chocolate chips into the batter before baking.
Matcha is a powder created by grinding whole green tea leaves. There are various grades. The higher quality grades are made from the fine, new leaves from the very top of the Camellia sinensis tea bush. Use the premium grades for drinking, while the lower culinary grades are fine for baking. Be careful when storing matcha. It can become stale and brownish when exposed to oxygen. I have been able to find matcha at the local Asian food markets and more recently in the tea section of larger supermarkets. It is also available on Amazon: Jade Leaf Matcha Green Tea Powder.
I also found the Tulip Baking Paper Cups on Amazon.
Looking for more ways to use Matcha?
Green Tea Muffins Recipe
Adapted from Little Corner of Mine
Green Tea Muffins
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon matcha green tea powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350˚Fahrenheit. Prepare 10 muffin tins by lining with paper or lightly greasing.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, matcha, baking powder, and salt.
- Whisk in the yogurt, oil, eggs, and vanilla extract just until the mixture is combined without lumps. Pour the batter into each prepared muffin tin until 3/4 full.
- Bake in preheated oven until lightly golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. These are best served the day they are made.