I joined the CIC: Crazy Ingredient Challenge a couple of months ago and finally made something for it! Each month, a group of bloggers, led by Jutta of Hungry Little Girl, come together to create unique recipes using two specific ingredients. This month’s challenge was Tomato and Coconut.
There were so many ideas, but I finally settled on these Grilled Cheese Sandwiches with Tomato Coconut Chutney. I got the idea from my previously made Braaibroodjie, a South African grilled sandwich with cheese, tomato, red onion, and chutney. Instead of the usual Peach or Mango Chutney, I made a simple tomato coconut chutney. The resulting sandwich was wonderful. We all loved it. I would have never thought to try tomato and coconut with my grilled cheese sandwich.
Use your favorite loaf bread as the base for the sandwich. I made mine with a Pretzel Bread. It was so good and makes me want to use Pretzel Bread for all my future grilled cheese.
When chopping the green chilies, remove the seeds for less heat. If you want a more spicy chutney, keep the seeds and maybe toss in an extra chili.
Grilled Cheese Sandwiches with Tomato Coconut Chutney
Tomato Coconut Chutney adapted from Happy Tails Vegan
Grilled Cheese with Tomato Coconut Chutney
- 8 slices bread
- 2-4 tablespoons butter softened
- 8 ounces Cheddar cheese
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced
Tomato Coconut Chutney:
- 1 tablespoon ghee or vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 2 green chilies stems removed, seeded if desired and chopped
- 1/4 coconut
- salt to taste
- In a medium skillet, drizzle ghee or oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and saute until softened. Add the garlic and cook until just fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Stir in the tomato and chili. Once tomato is softened, remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Remove the pulp from the coconut and place in food processor. Process until well grated. Add the tomato mixture to the food processor with the coconut. Process until smooth, adding salt to taste.
- Place skillet or grill over medium low heat.
- Spread softened butter on one side of each slice of bread. Place buttered side down on work surface. On half of all the slices, spread a layer of tomato coconut chutney. On the other slices, sprinkle 1/2 of the Cheddar cheese. Cover the cheese with red onion slices and remaining cheese. Top each sandwich with the other slice of bread, chutney side down.
- Grill the sandwiches until bread is golden and cheese is melted, about 2 minutes per side.
- Serve immediately.