A recipe for Grilled Mushroom Noodle Bowls for Food Bloggers Recipe Swap! Noodles are served in a mushroom broth with soy-marinated hard-boiled eggs, grilled mushrooms, and spinach.
This is my first month joining in the Food Bloggers Recipe Swap and I made Grilled Mushroom Noodle Bowls from Eat What We Eat (no longer active)!
With all the indulgence in the past couple of weeks, we enjoyed this lighter noodle bowl as a break from the leftovers the day after Christmas. It was a hit with the whole family. The noodles rest in a miso mushroom broth and are topped with grilled mushrooms, soy sauce eggs, spinach, and green onions. As a bonus, we generally have long noodles around the holidays and birthdays for long life so this fit the bill.
I used ramen-style noodles for the bowl, but others like soba or udon would also work well.
I sliced the spinach to make it easier for the kids to eat. You can top the bowls with whole baby spinach leaves if desired.
It is a bit chilly outside, so I grilled the mushrooms on the indoor cast iron grill. A few of mine were on the large side so I quartered those and halved the smaller ones.
Looking for more noodle bowls?
Grilled Mushroom Noodle Bowls Recipe
Adapted from Eat What We Eat (no longer active)
Grilled Mushroom Noodle Bowls
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 liter water
- 1 cup dried shiitake mushrooms
- 2 tablespoon white miso
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha
- 8 ounces uncooked noodles ramen or soba
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- Sesame seeds
To make the eggs:
- Place the eggs in a small pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook for 13 minutes total (from placing the eggs on the stove in the cold water). Remove the eggs from the water and peel when cool enough to handle. Place in a small ziplock bag and add the 1 tablespoon soy sauce and rice vinegar. Refrigerate for 30-60 minutes before using.
To make the mushroom broth:
- In a medium pot, bring the 1 liter water to a boil. Add the dried mushrooms and remove from heat. Allow to sit for 30 minutes. Right before serving, remove the dried mushrooms and bring the broth back to a boil. Stir in the miso.
To make the grilled mushrooms:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the garlic, honey, sesame oil, worcestershire sauce, sriracha, and soy sauce. Halve the button mushrooms (or quarter the larger ones) and toss in the bowl with the sauce. Allow to sit for 30 minutes and preheat the grill (outdoor or indoor grill pan). Thread the mushrooms on small skewers and grill until darkened. Brush with leftover sauce, flip, and grill the other side until darkened, 3-5 minutes per side. Brush with more sauce.
To assemble the noodle bowls:
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the noodles until just tender. Drain and divide among serving bowls. Top with the hot mushroom miso broth. Cut the boiled marinated eggs in half lengthwise and arrange among the bowls. Add the spinach leaves (sliced if desired) and mushroom skewers. Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds. Serve immediately.