I would make this cake for the topping alone. Almonds toasted with brown sugar, honey, and cream add a crisp texture with every bite. This is best the day it is made. It starts to dry out with time.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you.
If using a springform pan, place it on a baking sheet when baking the cake. The topping tends to seep out the bottom.
A few tips for working with yeast:
- Make sure the water isn’t too hot. Hot water will kill the yeast and the bread won’t rise. The best temperature water feels slightly warm to touch (105-115 degrees Fahrenheit). Let the yeast sit in the warm water for a minute before stirring to dissolve.
- Yeast breads rise best in kitchens that are between 70-80 degrees Fahrenheit. If the kitchen is too cold, turn on (and off) the oven and let the bread rise in there.
- Doughs containing eggs, dairy, and salt rise slower.
Honey Almond Coffee Cake Recipe
Honey Almond Coffee Cake
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water 105-115 degrees Fahrenheit
- 1/3 cup sugar, plus a pinch divided
- 1/2 cup milk warm
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest (1 large lemon)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- Combine the yeast, pinch of sugar, and warm water in a small bowl. Let sit for a minute. Mix to dissolve and set aside until foamy, 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine 1/3 cup sugar, salt, warm milk, and melted butter. With a wooden spoon, stir in the foamy yeast mixture. Add 1 cup flour and mix until dough is smooth. Beat in eggs, then lemon zest and almond extract. Add remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until dough comes together. Mix until soft and elastic.
- Cover bowl with damp cloth or plastic. Let rise in warm place until doubled, 1 1/2 hours.
- Butter a 10 inch springform pan or other pan with removable bottom. Punch down dough and press into pan to cover bottom. Cover with cloth and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- To make topping, combine brown sugar, honey, 2 tablespoons butter, and cream in small saucepan and cook over medium heat. Stir until thickened, 3-5 minutes. Mix in almonds.
- Place springform pan on baking sheet (to catch topping that seems througand bake for 15 minutes. Spread evenly with warm almond topping. Bake 10-20 more minutes, until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.