Hortobágyi Palacsinta are savory stuffed crepes from Hungary. Meat is sauteed with onions, tomatoes, paprika, and sour cream to form a stew. The sauce is drained from the meat before it is wrapped in the crepes. Flour and sour cream are whisked into the remaining sauce, poured over the filled crepes, and baked until bubbly.
I used ground veal, but I have also seen recipes use chicken, pork, or beef (mostly common are veal and chicken). Most stuffed crepes I have tried have been sweet, so it was nice to sample a savory version. We all loved the flavor of the paprika and sour cream. This recipe made plenty for leftovers. For less food, the ingredients can easily be halved.For the crepes, adjust the temperature of the skillet between medium and medium-low as needed. They should be just barely golden. When adding the batter, tilt the pan quickly in a circular motion to make the crepe as thin as possible.
Hortobágyi Palacsinta (Hungarian Stuffed Crepes) Recipe
Hortobágyi Palacsinta (Hungarian Stuffed Crepes)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1 pound ground veal, chicken, pork, or beef
- 10 1/2 ounces (300 g) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 4 teaspoons paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- Oil for pan
- Drained liquid from meat
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- In a large pan, drizzle olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and translucent. Stir in the meat and break it up into small pieces. Cook, continuing to break it up, until browned. Stir in tomatoes and water. Add paprika, caraway seeds, and parsley. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens. Stir in 1/2 cup sour cream.
- Place a fine mesh sieve over a medium bowl. Pour meat sauce into the sieve and let drain.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together eggs, flour, and milk until a smooth batter forms.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium low heat. Brush with about 1/4 teaspoon oil. Pour in about 1/4 cup batter and quickly tilt the pan to coat with a thin circle of batter. When the top begins to dry, flip to cook the other side. Cook until the bottom begins to turn golden, about 1 minute. Repeat with remaining batter, brushing the pan with oil as needed.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish or 2 smaller baking dishes.
- Place a layer of drained meat along the lower third of a crepe, leaving a 1 inch border on the edges. Fold in the sides and roll up. Place in prepared baking dish, seam side down. Repeat with remaining crepes and filling.
- Whisk 1/4 cup flour and 1 cup sour cream into the drained liquid from the meat until smooth. Pour over the prepared crepes. Bake in preheated oven until heated through and sauce is bubbly, about 15 minutes.
- Serve hot with sour cream.