These Irish Baked Eggs with Spinach come together easily with just a handful of ingredients for a comforting breakfast or lunch.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you.
I have joined the newly formed #EattheWorld Recipe Challenge (last month was the first event with Cuba), created by Evelyne of Culture Eatz. Each month we are assigned a different country as inspiration and post on the 10th. Today we are celebrating Irish food! I recently updated photos for my Irish Soda Bread and it was perfect for pairing with these Irish Baked Eggs with Spinach.
This easy and comforting dish comes together in less than 30 minutes. Eggs are cracked into ramekins with a mixture of crispy bacon, wilted spinach, shredded cheese, and cream. Top with a sprinkling of salt, pepper, fresh chives, or your favorite herbs.
You can either cook the bacon on the stovetop in a skillet or in a 400˚F oven on a wire rack topped rimmed baking sheet until crispy, about 15 minutes. I often opt to use the oven for an easy and hands-off way to cook a batch of bacon at once. Avoiding pork? The bacon can easily be omitted. Other popular additions include mushrooms or other vegetables.
I was able to find Dubliner cheese at my local grocery store next to the blocks of Cheddar. This Cork-based cow’s milk cheese has a pale yellow color and flavor combining the nuttiness of Parmesan with the sharpness of Cheddar. Can’t find it or want to try something different? A good quality Cheddar or even goat cheese would also work nicely.
Check out what everyone else created for the challenge!
Evelyne: Irish Yellowman Candy
Amy: Cheesy Potato Soup with Irish Ale
Nicoletta and Loreto: Irish Chocolate Stout Cake
Wendy: Instant Pot Irish Stew with White Cheddar Crust
Camilla: Shamrock Salad-Topped Irish Boxty
Karen: Irish Potato Cakes
Sarah: Irish Parsnip Soup
Margaret: Dublin Coddle (an Irish Stew)
Bernice: Potato Cabbage and Rutabaga Colcannon
Irish Baked Eggs with Spinach Recipe
Adapted from The Best of Irish Country Cooking
Irish Baked Eggs with Spinach
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter plus more for greasing
- 1/2 pound (225 grams) spinach
- 2 streaky bacon strips cooked until crisp and chopped
- 2 ounces (57 grams) Dubliner cheese shredded
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup (118 milliliters) heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Freshly chopped chives or parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350˚F (180˚C). Grease 4 ramekins with butter and set aside.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat and add the butter. If the spinach is large, remove the tough stems and coarsely chop the leaves. Add to the hot skillet with a pinch of salt and cook, stirring often, just until wilted. Transfer to a colander. Once cool enough to handle, squeeze out any excess moisture and evenly distribute among prepared ramekins.
- Divide the chopped bacon among the ramekins along with the shredded cheese. Crack an egg into each ramekin and top each with 2 tablespoons of cream.
- Top with a sprinkling of salt, pepper, and fresh herbs. Bake in preheated oven just until the egg whites are set, 12-15 minutes. Serve warm.