A recipe for Irish Cream Dark Chocolate Pudding! The dark chocolate pudding base is simmered over medium heat until thickened, mixed with Irish Cream, and refrigerated until set.
Disclaimer: Consume alcoholic beverages at your own risk and liability. This recipe is intended only for those over the age of 21 (in the United States). Please drink/eat responsibly.
This Irish Cream Dark Chocolate Pudding is an easy dessert to make if you have any extra Irish Cream lying around from St. Patrick’s Day! Sugar, cocoa powder (Dutch-processed if available), and cornstarch are combined in a saucepan with milk, cream, and an egg yolk. The mixture is simmered until thickened, then flavored with Irish Cream, dark chocolate, butter, and vanilla extract.
Transfer the pudding to individual serving glasses, cover, and refrigerate until set and well-chilled, at least 2-4 hours or overnight. Immediately before serving, top with a dollop of whipped cream and sprinkling of grated dark chocolate!
As a note, the Irish Cream is mixed into the pudding after cooking, so no alcohol is cooked out. This pudding is best for adults over the age of 21 (in the United States). Please drink/eat responsibly.
Don’t like dark chocolate? The pudding can also be prepared with regular cocoa powder and semi-sweet chocolate. Want to add an even more indulgent touch? Mix in a teaspoon of instant espresso powder with the cocoa powder, sugar, and cornstarch.
Slowly pour in the milk as you whisk to prevent lumps from forming. Stir the mixture often while it is simmering. Be careful not to burn the bottom of the pan, especially as the pudding starts to thicken.
The pudding is a bit on the decadent side. I like to divide the mixture among smaller serving/parfait glasses.
Looking for more alcohol-based desserts?
Irish Cream Dark Chocolate Pudding Recipe
Adapted from The Kiwi Cook
Irish Cream Dark Chocolate Pudding
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/3 cup Irish cream
- 3 ounces dark chocolate finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whipped cream for serving
- Grated/finely chopped dark chocolate for serving
- In a large saucepan, whisk together sugar, cocoa powder, and cornstarch. Slowly whisk in the milk until the powders are dissolved. Whisk in the heavy cream and egg yolk, then place over medium heat.
- Stir often until the mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and continue to cook and stir until thickened. Remove from heat. Mix in the Irish cream, dark chocolate, butter, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Allow to cool slightly, then divide among individual serving glasses. Cover the tops with plastic wrap, making sure it is touching the tops of the pudding to keep skin from forming. Refrigerate to chill thoroughly, at least 2-4 hours to overnight.
- Serve chilled topped with whipped cream and grated chocolate.