A recipe for Karpouzi me Feta (Greek Watermelon with Feta)! Cubed pieces of watermelon are served with olive oil, red onions, fresh mint, and feta for a refreshing summer salad.
This Karpouzi Me Feta (Καρπούζι με φέτα, Greek Watermelon with Feta) is an incredibly easy salad, but packed with a wonderful contrast of sweet and salty flavor. Cubes of watermelon are lightly seasoned with a drizzle of olive oil and pinch of salt and pepper, then tossed with lime-pickled red onions and topped with creamy feta and fresh mint.
I lightly pickled the red onion slices in lime juice and zest for a few minutes before adding to the watermelon to help remove a bit of the bite. This is completely optional, but I also love the hint of lime it adds to the salad. The thinly sliced red onions are combined in a non-reactive bowl with lime juice, lime zest, and a pinch of salt. Allow to sit at room temperature, stirring every 5-10 minutes to make sure all the onions come in contact with the lime juice. The longer you let the mixture sit, the more the onions will soften. I usually allow them to rest for at least 15-30 minutes. If not using after 30 minutes, refrigerate until needed.
Either cube or lightly crumble the feta to place over the top of the watermelon. I personally like to make cubes similar in size to the watermelon to help add to the contrast in texture.
Want to add even more flavor to the salad? Arugula and/or cucumber slices would be great additions. You can switch the fresh mint for basil if desired. My mint leaves were smaller so I left them whole. They can also be thinly sliced.
Looking for more Greek recipes?
Karpouzi me Feta (Greek Watermelon with Feta) Recipe
Adapted from PBS Fresh Tastes
Karpouzi Me Feta (Greek Watermelon with Feta)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- Zest from 1 lime
- 3 cups cubed watermelon seeds discarded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces feta cheese cubed or crumbled
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a small non-reactive bowl, toss the thinly sliced red onion with the lime juice, lime zest, and a pinch of salt. Allow to sit at room temperature for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Place the 3 cups cubed watermelon in a large serving bowl. Use a slotted spoon to remove the onions from the lime juice and add to the watermelon. Drizzle with olive oil, a pinch of salt and pepper, and toss to coat.
- Top with cubed or crushed feta and fresh mint leaves. Serve immediately.