A recipe for Karpouzi me Feta (Greek Watermelon with Feta)! Cubed pieces of watermelon are served with olive oil, red onions, fresh mint, and feta for a refreshing summer salad.
This Karpouzi Me Feta (Καρπούζι με φέτα, Greek Watermelon with Feta) is an incredibly easy salad, but packed with a wonderful contrast of sweet and salty flavor.
Cubes of watermelon are lightly seasoned with a drizzle of olive oil and pinch of salt and pepper, then tossed with lime-pickled red onions and topped with creamy feta and fresh mint.
I lightly pickled the red onion slices in lime juice and zest for a few minutes before adding to the watermelon to help remove a bit of the bite. This is completely optional, but I also love the hint of lime it adds to the salad.
The thinly sliced red onions are combined in a non-reactive bowl with lime juice, lime zest, and a pinch of salt. Allow to sit at room temperature, stirring every 5-10 minutes to make sure all the onions come in contact with the lime juice. The longer you let the mixture sit, the more the onions will soften. I usually allow them to rest for at least 15-30 minutes. If not using after 30 minutes, refrigerate until needed.
Either cube or lightly crumble the feta to place over the top of the watermelon. I personally like to make cubes similar in size to the watermelon to help add to the contrast in texture.
Want to add even more flavor to the salad? Arugula and/or cucumber slices would be great additions. You can switch the fresh mint for basil if desired. My mint leaves were smaller so I left them whole. They can also be thinly sliced.
Looking for more Greek recipes?
- Domatosoupa Me Kritaraki (Greek Tomato Soup with Orzo)
- Alevropita (Greek Thin-Batter Feta Pie)
- Makaronia Me Kima (Greek Spaghetti with Meat Sauce)
Karpouzi me Feta (Greek Watermelon with Feta) Recipe
Adapted from PBS Fresh Tastes
Karpouzi Me Feta (Greek Watermelon with Feta)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- Zest from 1 lime
- 3 cups cubed watermelon seeds discarded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces feta cheese cubed or crumbled
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a small non-reactive bowl, toss the thinly sliced red onion with the lime juice, lime zest, and a pinch of salt. Allow to sit at room temperature for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Place the 3 cups cubed watermelon in a large serving bowl. Use a slotted spoon to remove the onions from the lime juice and add to the watermelon. Drizzle with olive oil, a pinch of salt and pepper, and toss to coat.
- Top with cubed or crumbled feta and fresh mint leaves. Serve immediately.