This Northern Thai Curry, with Burmese influences, is a popular Chiang Mai street food. Most curries I have come across are served with rice, but Khao Soi is served over egg noodles (the Burmese Ohn No Khao Swè is also served with noodles). Chad came home from work to see me rolling sheets of dough through the pasta machine. He was a little confused at first, since I had told him we were having curry the day before, but definitely warmed up to it after tasting the homemade egg noodles coated in the slightly spicy coconut curry broth.
The flavor of this curry is still amazing (maybe even better) the next day. The sauce thickens up a bit in the refrigerator (these photos were actually taken with the leftovers), but it thins out nicely after reheating. I added 3 tablespoons of red curry paste and it was the perfect amount for me. If you enjoy a lot of heat, add closer to 6 tablespoons.
Khao Soi (Northern Thai Curry over Egg Noodles) Recipe
Adapted from The Kitchn
Khao Soi (Northern Thai Curry over Egg Noodles)
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 garlic cloves roughly chopped
- 2 shallots chopped
- 2-6 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 4 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into bite size pieces
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 pound Asian egg noodles
- Sliced shallots
- Chopped green onions
- Chopped peanuts
- Pickled cabbage
- Lime wedges
- Fried egg noodles
- In a large wok or saucepan, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Fry the garlic and shallots until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the curry paste and curry powder. Fry for another 30 seconds. Stir in the coconut milk, chicken broth, chicken pieces, fish sauce, and sugar. Bring to a boil, then decrease heat to medium low. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. The chicken should be cooked through and tender.
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Cook the egg noodles until al dente, cooked through but still firm. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Serve the curry over the egg noodles and garnish with desired toppings.