Other than a couple of common recipes, I haven’t been exposed to much of Turkish cuisine. After making this Kiymali Borek, a Turkish Ground Beef and Phyllo Pie, I am now searching for even more dishes. If you have a favorite Turkish dish, please let me know! This pie does not include a long list of ingredients, but it still has a wonderful flavor. Brushing each phyllo sheet with the yogurt mixed with olive oil and egg creates an incredible flakiness surrounding the ground beef filling.
Even Evan loved the meal. The phyllo sheets are light, so it was easy for him to take bites out of the pie. This recipe is very forgiving to those who are new to working with phyllo. Do not worry if a sheet or two get some small tears. Just try your best to patch it up.
Kiymali Borek (Turkish Ground Beef and Phyllo Pie)
Adapted from Turkish Food Passion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup parsley chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 pound Phyllo
- In a large pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add the ground beef, breaking up into small pieces, and stir until browned and cooked through. Stir in the parsley, salt, pepper, and paprika. Cook, stirring often, for an additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together yogurt, olive oil, and egg. Brush a thin layer over the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and place rack in middle of oven.
- Lay phyllo sheets on work surface and cover with a wet cloth. Place one sheet of phyllo in the prepared baking dish. Gently brush with the yogurt mixture. Repeat with half of the phyllo sheets.
- Spread the cooked ground beef over the prepared phyllo sheets in baking dish. Place a phyllo sheet over the layer of ground beef. Brush with yogurt mixture. Repeat with remaining phyllo sheets. Brush the top with more yogurt mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes. Let sit 10 minutes before cutting and serving.