A recipe for Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins! These easy muffins are packed with poppy seeds and lemon zest/juice, plus a sweet lemon glaze drizzled over the top.
I made these Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins right before our move to Virginia as a way to use up some extra lemons and poppy seeds. They come together so easily for quick breakfast or brunch addition!
Granulated sugar and lemon zest are blended together, then mixed with flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, and a little salt. Vegetable oil, yogurt, lemon juice, eggs, and vanilla extract are whisked in until just combined to form a smooth, light batter. Transfer the batter into the prepared muffin tins and bake in the preheated oven until lightly golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 14-16 minutes. Be careful not to overbake!
After cooling to room temperature, the Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins are topped with a light, lemon glaze. These muffins are best the day they are made, especially after adding the glaze. Leftover, unglazed muffins will keep a couple of days at room temperature in an airtight container. Allow to cool completely to room temperature before storing.
Before mixing in the remaining ingredients, I rubbed the lemon zest into the sugar until well blended to help infuse that vibrant citrus flavor throughout the muffins.
I topped the Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins with a sweet lemon powdered sugar glaze. Not wanting that much lemon? You can substitute the lemon juice with milk or omit the glaze altogether and swap it for simply a sprinkling of coarse sugar before baking.
If the mixture is too loose, add a little more flour (be careful not to add too much). If the batter is too dry to scoop, mix in a little more yogurt.
Take care not to overmix the batter. Fold together the wet and dry ingredients just until combined. Overmixing will create a tougher muffin.
Fill each prepared muffin tin about 3/4 full. I usually do this by slightly overfilling a standard ice cream scoop to transfer the batter to each of the prepared muffin tins. This is the easiest way I have come across to get a consistent size.
Looking for more recipes with poppy seeds?
- Birkesvafler (Poppy Seed Waffles)
- Orange Poppy Seed Baked Doughnuts
- Tebirkes (Danish Poppyseed Pastries)
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins Recipe
Adapted from The Tasty Bite
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins:
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1 3/4 cups (190 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons (17 grams) poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup (80 milliliters) vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup ( 60 grams) plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) lemon juice
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (120 grams) powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) fresh lemon juice
To make the Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins:
- Preheat oven to 375˚F (190˚C). Line 8 muffin tins with paper liners or lightly grease.
- In a large bowl, rub the lemon zest into the granulated sugar.
- Mix in the flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, beat together the vegetable oil, yogurt, lemon juice, eggs, and vanilla extract until light. Fold the wet ingredients into the flour mixture until just combined with no streaks remaining. Be careful not to overmix.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tins about 3/4 full and place in the preheated oven. Cook until lightly golden and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center, about 14-16 minutes.
- Allow to cool in tins for 5 minutes before removing to wire rack.
To make the Lemon Glaze:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and lemon juice until combined and no lumps remain. If too thick to drizzle, add a little more lemon juice. If too thin, whisk in a little more powdered sugar.
- Drizzle over room temperature muffins, allow to set for a few minutes, and serve the day they are prepared.