A recipe for Makaronilaatikko (Finnish Macaroni Casserole)! Macaroni noodles and ground beef are coated in a creamy egg mixture, topped with cheese, and baked until golden and bubbly.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you.
Eat the World
It is time again for the #EattheWorld Recipe Challenge created by Evelyne of Culture Eatz!
This month, we are celebrating Finland and I made Makaronilaatikko (Finnish Macaroni Casserole) for the event.
I very briefly stepped foot on Finnish soil for the first time in April. While traveling home from Copenhagen, we had a 5 hour layover at Helsinki Airport.
Unfortunately, it was just a little too short for me to be comfortable leaving to explore Helsinki after an already long week of traveling alone with two young children, but it was more than enough time to become fully acquainted with the airport.
A meal at Nordic Kitchen was the perfect end to our week of incredible food. I tried the Reindeer Pasta (photo below- pasta with smoked reindeer, portobello mushrooms, juniper berries, and thyme), while the kids enjoyed a pizza.
We also brought home a few bars of Karl Fazer Milk Chocolate from one of the gift shops. The Domino one was our favorite- milk chocolate with pieces of Domino cookie (dark chocolate with vanilla filling) throughout.
I definitely hope to go back someday to see the country outside of the airport and the food.
Makaronilaatikko (Finnish Macaroni Casserole)
I was unable to acquire smoked reindeer to remake the pasta I tried at Nordic Kitchen without some extreme expense, but did take the opportunity to make another Finnish favorite at home, Makaronilaatikko.
Makaronilaatikko is a Finnish macaroni casserole that comes together with minimal effort. I first came across it while reviewing The Nordic Cookbook.
Macaroni noodles are cooked until nearly al dente (undercook just slightly since they will soften further in the oven) and tossed with ground beef and onions.
After transferring to an oven-safe dish (I used a 15 inch/38 centimeter oval baking dish), the noodles and beef are coated in a creamy egg mixture and topped with a layer of shredded cheese. The casserole is then baked in a 435˚F (225˚C) oven until golden and bubbly, about 30 minutes.
If you want the Makaronilaatikko to have a little more richness, beat the eggs with 1 cup (240 milliliters) milk and 1 cup (240 milliliters) cream instead of the 2 cups (470 milliliters) of only milk.
After cooling slightly to set, this casserole is best served warm. My daughter especially loved it with ketchup. Top with a little parsley, if desired.
Check out all the wonderful Finnish dishes prepared by fellow Eat the World members and share with #eattheworld:
- Pandemonium Noshery: Vispipuuro – Whipped Semolina Pudding
- Nicoletta & Loreto Sugarlovespices: Mustikkapiirakka (Finnish Blueberry Pie)
- Margaret at Kitchen Frau: Lohikeitto (Creamy Salmon, Potato & Dill Soup)
- Tara’s Multicultural Table: Makaronilaatikko (Finnish Macaroni Casserole)
- Culinary Adventures with Camilla: Mustikkapiirakka (Finnish Blueberry Pie)
- Amy: Sima (Finnish Lemonade)
- Sharanya Sara’s Tasty Buds: Voisilmapulla(Finnish Butter Eye Buns)
- Evelyne: Pannukakku Finnish Pancakes with Blueberries
- Sue:Lattyja Pancakes with Strawberry-Gooseberry Jam
- A Day in the Life on the Farm: Lihapullat (Finnish Meatballs)
Makaronilaatikko (Finnish Macaroni Casserole) Recipe
Adapted from The Nordic Cookbook
Makaronilaatikko (Finnish Macaroni Casserole)
- 8 ounces (227 grams) dried macaroni
- 1 tablespoon (14 grams) unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion peeled and diced
- 1 pound (450 grams) ground beef
- 1-1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups (473 milliliters) milk
- 5 ounces (142 grams) aged Cheddar cheese shredded
- Ketchup for serving
- Preheat oven to 435˚F (225˚C).
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add the dried macaroni. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the noodles are nearly al dente. They shouldn't be completely tender since they will cook further while in the oven. Drain and set aside.
- While the noodles are cooking, melt the butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened. Stir in the ground beef, breaking up the pieces as they brown. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Remove from heat once cooked through. Toss the ground beef mixture with the cooked macaroni and transfer to a large, ovensafe dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. Pour over the ground beef and macaroni in the large dish. Evenly top with the shredded cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden and bubbly, about 30 minutes. If desired, serve with ketchup.