Recipe for Melon sa Malamig- a light and refreshing Filipino Cantaloupe Drink.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you.
Melon sa Malamig is a cantaloupe-based drink from the Philippines. Sa Malamig translates to “cold” in Tagalog and this is definitely a great drink for a hot summer day. Thin shreds of cantaloupe are combined with water and sweetened to taste. For an added boost of flavor, stir in some vanilla extract and sweetened condensed or evaporated milk. Some even include a little lemon, lime, or calamansi juice. The thin shreds of cantaloupe are created with the help of a melon scraper. I used a coconut slicer, but a grater can be substituted if you don’t have either.
If stirring in sweetened condensed or evaporated milk, drink the Melon sa Malamig immediately after combining. Lalaine of Kawaling Pinoy mentions through experience that the proteolytic enzyme in the cantaloupe breaks down the milk proteins and produces a bitter flavor if left to sit for a bit.
Melon sa Malamig (Filipino Cantaloupe Drink) Recipe
Adapted from Maryann and The Kitchen Table
Melon sa Malamig (Filipino Cantaloupe Drink)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water plus more for pitcher
- 1 medium cantaloupe
- Large splash vanilla extract
- Sweetened condensed or evaporated milk
- Ice for serving
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and water over high heat. Once the water comes to a boil, reduce heat to low. Simmer, stirring often, until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Clean the outside of the cantaloupe and cut in half. Use a spoon to remove the seeds and a melon scraper to scoop out threads of the cantaloupe into a medium bowl. If a melon scraper is not available, slice the cantaloupe and grate the flesh into the bowl.
- Place the grated cantaloupe flesh into the pitcher and add the cooled syrup. Fill with water. If using, add a splash of vanilla extract or some condensed/evaporated milk.
- Serve chilled or with crushed ice.