These Mini Fried Chicken and Waffles are perfect for #SundaySupper’s Fancy Finger Food for Award Show Parties! Mini waffles are paired with maple honey butter and topped with pieces of fried chicken for an appetizer sure to be a hit for all ages.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you.
Today, #SundaySupper is getting together with a collection of fancy finger foods and I am joining in with a recipe for Mini Fried Chicken and Waffles!
Mini Fried Chicken and Waffles
These were a particularly fun for the kids. The savory chicken and waffles paired with the sweet maple honey butter make these perfect for celebrations or even a special brunch.
I used frozen mini waffles, but you can also make your own (I don’t currently have a mini waffle maker) or use larger waffles and cut them into smaller circles with a 2 inch cutter or slice into small squares.
For best results, allow the chicken pieces to marinate in buttermilk for a few hours to overnight before coating in the flour cornstarch mixture and frying.
If the chicken is getting too dark too quickly before the interior has a chance to cook, adjust the temperature of the oil as needed.
The maple honey butter can be made ahead of time and refrigerated until needed. Soften at room temperature again before using.
Looking for more waffle ideas?
Fancy Finger Foods for Awards Show Parties
Best Meat Finger Food
- Blini with Smoked Salmon (or Gravlax) by Caroline’s Cooking
- Crab Stuffed Pastry Cups by Our Good Life
- Greek Shrimp Skewers by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Jerk Shrimp & Avocado Bites by Books n’ Cooks
- Tempura Chicken Nuggets by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Visual Effects in a Veggie Finger Food
Supporting Role Sweet Finger Food
- Pistachio Financiers by Pies and Plots
Mini Fried Chicken and Waffles Recipe
Adapted from Tiny Food Party!
Mini Fried Chicken and Waffles
- 2 large boneless chicken breasts cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 cups buttermilk
Maple Honey Butter:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Small pinch salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 30 mini waffles frozen or homemade
- Honey for drizzling
- Fresh chives for garnish
- In a large bowl, cover the chicken pieces with buttermilk, stirring to make sure everything is coated. Cover and refrigerate for 6 hours to overnight.
To make the maple honey butter:
- In a medium bowl, whisk or beat together the softened butter with the honey, maple syrup, and salt until well combined. Set aside or refrigerate until needed, bringing to room temperature before serving.
To make the chicken:
- In a wide bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, garlic powder, paprika, salt, onion powder, and black pepper.
- In a deep skillet or saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Remove a piece of chicken from the buttermilk, allowing the excess to drip off, and coat in the flour mixture. Add to the heated oil with a few more pieces of coated chicken, being careful not to overcrowd. Fry until golden, about 3-5 minutes per side, and transfer to a towel-lined plate. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- While the chicken is frying, preheat oven to 375˚F. Arrange the waffles on a baking sheet and bake until toasted and heated through, 12-15 minutes.
- Spread a little of the maple honey butter over each waffle. Top with a piece of fried chicken. Drizzle with additional honey and a sprinkling of fresh chives. Serve immediately.