Recipe for Mummy Pretzel Dogs for Halloween! Hot dogs are wrapped in a pretzel dough in the shape of mummies, boiled, then baked until golden. Top with mustard or sesame seeds for the eyes.
For my first Halloween post this year, I modified a previous recipe. I made Pretzel Dogs for the Fourth of July last summer, but you can change the way you wrap the dough and use sesame seeds or mustard to make the hot dogs look like little mummies. This fun twist makes them perfect for the season!
I divided the pretzel dough into 12 pieces instead of 8 to make a smaller wrapping. Roll each piece into a rope as thin as possible. As you wrap the dough around the hot dog, leave a large open spot on the upper third section for the head. Remember the dough will expand and take up more space after baking. Don’t stick to one direction, just try to make sure the ends are tucked into the underside of the hot dog. After baking, I added two dots of mustard to the exposed section for the eyes. You can also use sesame seeds or ketchup.
Looking for more Halloween ideas?
Mummy Pretzel Dogs Recipe
Adapted from Brown Eyed Baker
Mummy Pretzel Dogs
- 1 1/2 cups warm water 110-115 degrees F
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 4 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted
- 10 cups water
- 2/3 cup baking soda
- 12 hot dogs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- Mustard or sesame seeds for the eyes
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough blade or a large bowl, sprinkle yeast over warm water. Let sit for a minute before stirring to combine. Let sit until frothy, 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in the flour, sugar, salt, and 1/4 cup butter until the dough comes together.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough until smooth and elastic. Place in a lightly oiled large bowl, cover, and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 425˚F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment or lightly grease.
- Add 10 cups water and baking soda to a large pot and bring to a boil.
- On a lightly oiled surface, divide the dough into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 24 inch long rope. Wrap the dough around the hot dog, pinching to seal the ends. As you wrap the dough around the hot dog, leave a large open spot on the upper third section for the head (remember the dough will expand as it bakes). Don’t stick to one direction, just try to make sure the ends are tucked into the underside of the hot dog. Repeat with remaining pieces.
- Place prepared pretzel dogs in boiling water, 2 at a time, for 30 seconds. Remove with a slotted spatula to the prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops with melted butter and bake in preheated oven until golden brown, 12-15 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack 5 minutes before making two eyes on each exposed area of hot dog with drops of mustard or sesame seeds.