A recipe for a Spiced Orange Lassi! This quick and easy yogurt-based drink is packed with fresh oranges, cinnamon, and cardamom.
A Lassi is an Indian yogurt-based beverage perfect for combating the heat, both outside and alongside spicy food, any time of day. They come in a variety of flavors from sweet to savory, often with the addition of fruit and spices. A couple of favorites include this Rose Lassi from Whisk Affair and this Salted Lassi from Healing Tomato.
Today, I am sharing a recipe for a Spiced Orange Lassi! Peeled and roughly chopped oranges are blended with a mixture of yogurt, milk, honey, cinnamon, cardamom, and ice for an easy and refreshing creamy drink.
Everything comes together in less than 10 minutes with very minimal prep. The longest part is peeling and separating the oranges.
To garnish, I topped the Spiced Orange Lassi simply with an orange slice, sprig of fresh mint, and a little extra pinch of ground cardamom immediately before serving. This is completely optional, but adds a nice presentation.
A Few Tips
The exact color of your drink will depend on the hue of the oranges. Mine were on the lighter side.
The measurements listed are mostly just guidelines. Adjust the honey, cinnamon, and cardamom to taste. The honey can be swapped for another favorite sweetener or sugar if desired.
Start with one cup (130 grams) of ice and add more as needed for a light and creamy texture.
I used plain yogurt in this recipe. If using a thicker yogurt, more milk may be required to smoothly blend everything together.
Serve the lassi immediately after blending. The ingredients will start to separate and the ice will melt with time.
Looking for more Orange-based recipes?
This recipe was originally posted in March 2013 and updated February 2022.
Spiced Orange Lassi Recipe
Adapted from Cooking with Ruthie
Spiced Orange Lassi
- 2 large oranges peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) milk
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 1/2 cups (360 grams) plain yogurt
- 1-2 cups (130-260 grams) ice
- Orange slices
- Fresh mint
- In a blender, add the orange pieces followed by the milk, honey, vanilla extract, cinnamon, cardamom, yogurt, and finally ice.
- Blend until smooth. Adjust flavors to taste.
- If desired, garnish with orange slices and fresh mint. Serve immediately.