A recipe for Orange Pumpkin Pancakes! These flavorful pancakes are packed with warming spices, pumpkin, and orange zest/juice for a quick and easy fall breakfast.
These Orange Pumpkin Pancakes are the perfect way to use up any leftover pumpkin puree you may have during the season. Best of all, they come together with simply a bowl, whisk, skillet, and 15 minutes! Flour, sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, orange zest, and salt are whisked together, then combined with milk, orange juice, pumpkin puree, eggs, and vanilla extract just until no lumps or streaks remain.
About 1/4 cup of batter is poured into a hot, buttered skillet and cooked until lightly golden and starting to set on the top. Flip to cook the other side just until golden and cooked through. Repeat with remaining batter and serve immediately topped as desired with orange slices, chopped pecans, butter, and/or maple syrup.
This recipe uses pumpkin puree, NOT pumpkin pie filling. Pumpkin puree simply contains cooked and pureed pumpkin.
For the Orange Pumpkin Pancakes, you can either add store-bought or homemade pumpkin pie spice. One teaspoon was the perfect amount for me, but adjust as desired according to taste. I personally like this pumpkin pie spice recipe from My Baking Addiction. Chad has been using the remaining spice mix to flavor his coffee.
Adjust the heat between medium and medium low as needed to allow the pancakes to cook through without burning. Do not flatten them with a spatula after flipping. This will keep them from becoming light and fluffy.
To keep the pancakes warm while you are preparing the rest of the batter, arrange them in a single layer on a baking sheet and place in a 200˚F (95˚C) oven. Just don’t keep them in there too long (no more than 15 min) or they will start to dry out.
Looking for more pumpkin recipes?
Orange Pumpkin Pancakes Recipe
Adapted from One Sweet Mess
Orange Pumpkin Pancakes
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Butter for pan-frying and serving
- Maple Syrup
- Orange Slices
- Chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, orange zest, and salt.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the milk, orange juice, pumpkin, eggs, and vanilla.
- Stir the milk mixture into the flour until just combined with no streaks or lumps.
- In a large skillet, place about 1 teaspoon butter over medium-low heat. Once thoroughly heated, add about 1/4 cup batter. Flip to the other side once the top begins to set with bubble formation and the bottom is golden. Do not flatten with spatula. Cook the other side until golden. Repeat with remaining batter, buttering the skillet as needed.
- Serve immediately topped with orange slice, chopped pecans, butter, and maple syrup if desired.