Recipe for ‘Otai, a watermelon drink from Tonga. Shredded watermelon is combined with crushed pineapple, coconut, water, and a little lime for a light and refreshing drink.
This ‘Otai was a great drink for a hot summer day. It is very quick to prepare- just combine shredded watermelon with canned pineapple, coconut milk, and lime juice. Add in enough water to reach your desired consistency (I have also come across recipes that use coconut water). This drink is sweet on its own, but you can stir in a little sugar if desired. Other variations may include mango or mountain apple (fekkika). Check out The Polynesian Kitchen for a Mango Otai recipe.
My seedless watermelon was a mini, so I ended up adding the whole thing. The amount of watermelon should equal around 5 cups. This ‘Otai is best cold, so keep the watermelon and coconut milk in the refrigerator before making if you are going to serve it right away. Otherwise, refrigerate the drink until ready to serve over crushed ice.
‘Otai (Tongan Watermelon Drink) Recipe
‘Otai (Tongan Watermelon Drink)
- 1/2 seedless watermelon around 5 cups
- 1 can crushed pineapple with juice
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 can (15 ounce) coconut milk
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 2-3 cups water
- Sugar to taste
- Shredded coconut
- Lime wedges
- Scoop out 1/2 watermelon into a large bowl. Shred with a fork or grate. The watermelon shouldn't be completely pureed.
- Mix in the pineapple with juice, coconut milk, lime juice, up to 3 cups water, and sugar if desired.
- Serve chilled with crushed ice if desired, shredded coconut, and lime wedges.