A recipe for Paciencia Cookies (Filipino Meringue Cookies)! These light and crisp cookies come together with only five ingredients.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you.
These Paciencia Cookies (Galletas Paciencia) are a popular and delicious option during the holiday baking season.
Translating to patience in Spanish, they are created by beating egg whites and sugar until stiff, then combining with flour, baking powder, and any desired flavors.
The name patience may come from the time it takes to beat the egg whites by hand, but I used the stand mixer with a whisk attachment so it is a bit less effort.
A Few Tips
I kept the Paciencia cookies simple with a light vanilla flavor. Ang Sarap has a fun option for Pasencia Cookies and Cream.
I transferred the batter to a piping bag with a round tip. If unavailable, you can also use a large ziploc bag with the corner snipped off (about 1/2 inch, 1.25 centimeters).
To get the cookies roughly around the same size, I actually used macaron silicone mats and piped the batter into rounds to the interior circles (a little over an inch, 2.5 centimeters).
Space the cookies at least 1 inch (2.5 centimeters) apart on the baking sheet.
After piping, hit the baking sheets on the counter a few times to remove any air bubbles.
If the peaks are too tall on the tops of the cookies, take a very lightly moistened finger to gently press down and create a more even look.
Bake the cookies until lightly golden. Allow to cool in the oven with the door propped for about 20 minutes before removing (this may also contribute to the name patience!).
Store the Paciencia cookies in an airtight container at room temperature.
Looking for more Filipino recipes?
This recipe was originally posted in December 2013 and updated in November 2022.
Paciencia Cookies (Filipino Meringue Cookies) Recipe
Adapted from Adora’s Box
Paciencia Cookies (Filipino Meringue Cookies)
- 3 large egg whites
- 2/3 cup (133 grams) granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup (42 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 275˚F (135˚C) and line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with a whisk attachment or a large bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Slowly add the sugar and continue to whisk until the mixture is glossy with stiff peaks, then add the vanilla extract.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Gently fold into the egg whites until smooth with no streaks of flour remaining.
- Place the mixture into a large piping bag with a round tip or a large plastic bag with a 1/2 inch (1.25 centimeter) hole clipped off the corner.
- Pipe the cookies into about 1 inch (2.5 centimeter) circles on the prepared baking sheets about 1 inch (2.5 centimeters) apart.
- Hit the baking sheet on the counter a few times to remove any air bubbles.
- Bake in preheated oven until crisp and lightly golden, about 20 minutes.
- Turn off the oven and lightly prop open the door. Allow the cookies to cool in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Once cooled, store in an airtight container at room temperature.