Recipe for Peppermint Eggnog Hot Chocolate! A ganache hot chocolate base is flavored with eggnog and peppermint for quite the festive drink.
This Peppermint Eggnog Hot Chocolate is a great holiday drink that can be prepared in less than 30 minutes. Milk and eggnog are heated lightly on the stove, then combined with a chocolate ganache to create a rich and creamy beverage.
Immediately before serving, vanilla and peppermint extracts are whisked into the drink for a little extra flavor, then served with whipped cream, candy canes, marshmallows, and a little nutmeg.
A Few Tips
I first came across the idea of using ganache as the base for hot chocolate while reviewing Beach House Baking a few years ago. It adds a wonderful creaminess and smooth texture to the drink.
You can prepare everything at once or make the ganache ahead of time and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to a couple of days in advance. Simply whisk into the heated milk and eggnog when ready to serve.
I made the hot chocolate with a semisweet/milk chocolate ganache, but it can also be swapped for white chocolate.
There was enough sweetness in the chocolate, eggnog, and toppings for my own taste. Adjust and add a little sugar if desired.
I topped each Peppermint Eggnog Hot Chocolate with whipped cream, marshmallows, a candy cane, and a sprinkling of freshly grated nutmeg. I bought the cute snowman marshmallows featured in the photos, but I am a Food Blog has a fun post detailing how to make them at home.
For an even more striking presentation, dip the top of each glass in melted chocolate and immediately coat the rim with crushed candy canes before preparing the hot chocolate. Take care when sprinkling the candy cane pieces. They will easily stick to other parts of the glass and surfaces/clothing.
I used store-bought eggnog, but Trial and Eater also has a recipe to make your own.
Looking for more Hot Chocolate recipes?
Peppermint Eggnog Hot Chocolate Recipe
Adapted from Trial and Eater
Peppermint Eggnog Hot Chocolate
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) heavy cream
- 4 ounces (113 grams) semisweet or milk chocolate chopped
- 1 cup (240 milliliters) milk
- 1 cup (240 milliliters) eggnog
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Whipped cream
- Candy canes
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- In a small saucepan, bring the heavy cream to a simmer over medium heat, stirring often. Remove from heat and add the chopped chocolate.
- Allow to sit for a minute, then whisk together until blended and smooth. Transfer the ganache to a bowl.
- Clean the saucepan, add the milk and eggnog, then place over medium heat. Once the liquid is heated and bubbles form around the edges, add the ganache and whisk until smooth and heated through.
- Remove from heat, then stir in the vanilla and peppermint extracts.
- Serve immediately in a large mug topped with whipped cream, candy canes, a sprinkling of nutmeg, and/or marshmallows.