A recipe for Pollo Saltado (Peruvian Chicken Stir-Fry). Thinly sliced pieces of chicken are tossed together with potatoes, tomatoes, and red onions for a quick and delicious dish.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you.
Peruvian cuisine has been heavily influenced by Chinese immigrants and the resulting fusion of some of the best of both cuisines is known as Chifa. This Pollo Saltado is one of the products of said fusion. Pollo Saltado is a Peruvian Stir-Fry with seasoned chicken, onions, and tomatoes along with French fries and rice. The combination of chicken with aji amarillo, soy sauce, vinegar, french fries, and rice creates an absolutely incredible dish that comes together in no time at all. Another popular variation, called Lomo Saltado, swaps the chicken for beef.
This dish cooks quickly at a high heat. Make sure to have all your ingredients chopped and ready to go before starting the cooking process.
I often use pre-made frozen French fries and bake them right before tossing with the Pollo Saltado. Homemade fries cooked immediately prior would be even better.
I have seen the fries served in two ways. You can either keep them separate (I often do this if I plan on having leftovers) or toss them with the Pollo Saltado immediately before serving. If you toss everything together, eat right away as the fries will become soggy as they soak up the sauce.
Aji Amarillo (Amarillo Chili) is a bright orange chile with a fruity flavor and about the same heat level as Tabasco or Cayenne on the Scoville Scale. I was able to find Aji Amarillo Paste in the Peruvian section of my local international market. I have also seen it in larger supermarkets such as Wegmans and Whole Foods. You can sometimes find the chilies dried or frozen. If not available locally, aji amarillo paste is available on Amazon (but for a more expensive price): Aji Amarillo Paste.
Looking for more Peruvian recipes?
Pollo Saltado (Peruvian Chicken Stir-Fry) Recipe
Adapted from Peru Delights
Pollo Saltado (Peruvian Chicken Stir-Fry)
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 red onion thickly sliced into wedges
- 3 plum tomatoes thickly sliced into wedges
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 tablespoon aji amarillo paste or 1 aji amarillo pepper, seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 10 ounces French fries
- Cooked long grain white rice for serving
- Thinly slice the chicken breasts and season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the chicken stock, soy sauce, and vinegar.
- In a large wok, drizzle oil over high heat. When thoroughly heated, add the sliced chicken breasts. Cook, stirring often, until golden on all sides. Toss in the garlic and onions, then the chicken stock mixture.
- Once the onions begin to soften, stir in the tomatoes, cilantro, aji amarillo, and additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately with French fries and rice.