A recipe for Salted Dark Chocolate Coconut Balls! Shredded coconut is combined with sweetened condensed milk, coated in dark chocolate, and topped with sprinkles or coconut for a delicious, easy treat.
These Salted Dark Chocolate Coconut Balls are a perfect little Valentine’s Day treat. I first came across the recipe over on Port and Fin and absolutely love the creamy coconut filling paired with dark chocolate and just a pinch of salt. They come together with only a little prep and no cooking involved too!
Shredded coconut is combined with sweetened condensed milk and a splash of vanilla extract, then formed into little balls. After refrigerating until firm, they are covered in dark chocolate and topped with sea salt and sprinkles (I used pink sprinkles for Valentine’s Day) or additional shredded coconut.
The Salted Dark Chocolate Coconut Balls were easy to make with just a handful of ingredients and last for up to a week in the refrigerator.
A Few Tips
I used unsweetened coconut since there is plenty of sugar in the condensed milk and chocolate. You can swap for sweetened coconut to create an even more decadent candy.
To easily divide the coconut filling into individual 1 inch (2.5 cm) portions, I used a small cookie scoop. To roll the balls and keep them smooth, I wet my hands with a little bit of water to keep them from sticking. You could also form the mixture into little candy bars with the help of silicone molds.
Top the coconut balls with sea salt and sprinkles/dried coconut (plain or toasted) immediately after coating in chocolate. If you wait too long, the chocolate will set before the toppings get a chance to stick.
If refrigerating the coconut filling for longer than 30 minutes, allow to sit at room temperature for a few minutes before coating in chocolate. The melted chocolate will contract a little as it cools and if the filling is too cold, it could seep through weak spots in the coating.
Looking for more coconut-based recipes?
- Coconut Margarita
- Paletas de Aguacate y Coco (Mexican Avocado and Coconut Popsicles)
- Coconut Lime Baked Donuts
Salted Dark Chocolate Coconut Balls Recipe
Adapted from Port and Fin
Salted Dark Chocolate Coconut Balls
- 4 cups (280 grams) shredded, desiccated coconut
- 14 ounces (397 grams) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 ounces (340 grams) dark chocolate coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- Flaky sea salt
- Shredded, desiccated coconut
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the coconut, sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla extract until the mixture comes together.
- Roll the mixture into 1 inch (2.5 cm) balls and arrange on the prepared baking sheet. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to allow the filling to set.
- Place the chocolate and shortening in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 20 second increments, stirring in-between, until melted and smooth.
- Use a dipping tool or fork to completely coat the coconut ball in the melted chocolate. Allow excess chocolate to drip off and place the covered ball back on the baking sheet, making sure not to touch the other balls.
- Immediately sprinkle with salt and sprinkles or dried coconut. Repeat with remaining coconut balls.
- Allow the chocolate to set on the baking sheet either at room temperature or in the frigerator before serving, about 30 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to a week.