Molten Lava Cake recipe for #SecretRecipeClub! This cake is the perfect dessert for chocolate lovers with a crumbly, cake crust and molten, brownie batter-like center.
Secret Recipe Club
Secret Recipe Club time again! For those who haven’t seen my previous Secret Recipe Club posts, this club includes three group of bloggers who are assigned a different blog each month and secretly make a recipe to post on their specified Monday reveal day. I look forward to my assignment email every month and discovering new blogs. It is also fun to see what someone chooses from your blog.
This month I was assigned Kirstin’s Loving Life. Kirstin doesn’t have a set theme for her blog, but uses it to document her recipes, favorite things, and family. She was born in England to a military family and now lives in the Pacific Northwest with her husband. She also has two daughters. Kirstin has a great collection of recipes and I decided on her Molten Lava Cake. I also pinned these recipes for later: Chicken and Spinach Stuffed Shells, Cashew Chicken Lettuce Wraps, Mixed Berry Tartlets, Kicked up Yogurt Parfaits, Peanut Butter Bars, S’mores Cups, and Granita al Caffee con Panna.
Molten Lava Cake
Molten Lava Cake has been on my list for a while now, so I am glad I finally got the push to try it! This cake is the perfect dessert for chocolate lovers with a crumbly, cake crust and molten, brownie batter-like center. The recipe is also actually fairly easy. The most difficult part is getting the baking time just right. Kirstin and I both had a time of about 13 minutes. Start checking them after 10 minutes in the oven and it shouldn’t take longer than 15. The outside should be firm, but still show some moisture and be a little wobbly in the center of the top. Be careful not to bake them too long or you will cook the “lava.”
These are great for entertaining or any special/chocolate craving occasion when you want to make a more elegant dessert. I served the cakes with a dusting of powdered sugar, whipped cream, fresh raspberries, and mint leaves. Other berries and vanilla ice cream would also be delicious.
Looking for more cake recipes?
Check out what everyone else from Group C made:
- Coconut Oil and Sea Salt Brownie Cookies from My Wholefood Family
- White Chocolate Snickerdoodles from The Heritage Cook
- Bacon Fat Chocolate Chip Cookies from Lynsey Lou’s
- Tropical Sunrise Muffins from The Big Sweet Tooth
- Mini Pecan Pie Cupcakes from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Creamy Cheesecake with Fresh Cherry Pie Filling from Where is My Spoon
- Pink Grapefruit Pie from Savory Moments
- Chicken, Cheese & Rocket Falutas from Casa Costello
- BLT Puff Pastry Pizza from Join Us, Pull Up a Chair
- Savory Zucchini Cake from Simple and Savory
- Roasted Fajita Spiced Chickpeas from Mangia
- Oat Porridge with Honey & Dates from The Avid Appetite
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake for One from Natural Noshing
- Strawberry Pecan Chicken Salad from Loving Life
- Peach and Almond Loaf Cake from Cook with Sara
Molten Lava Cake Recipe
Adapted from Loving Life
Molten Lava Cake
- 6 ounces semisweet or dark chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- Powdered Sugar
- Whipped cream or ice cream
- Fresh berries
- Mint leaves
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease 6 ramekins with butter and line the bottom of each with a circle of parchment paper. Place the ramekins on a baking sheet.
- In a double boiler or microwave in 20 second increments, melt the chocolate chips and butter until smooth. Set aside and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs and sugar until pale. Mix in the flour until smooth. Slowly fold in the cooled chocolate until combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared ramekins, 3/4 full. Bake in preheated oven just until the tops are barely set but still wobbly in center, about 13 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before inverting onto serving plates.
- Serve immediately with powdered sugar, whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, fresh berries, and mint leaves.