I love almonds. They are wonderful as a snack, in baked goods, or even sprinkled on salads. With the addition of cinnamon, these almonds become absolutely addicting. While this recipe uses the slow cooker, it is not a leave it and forget about it type. You still have to give the almonds a quick stir about every 20 minutes. The preparation is well worth it. As they cook, the smell of cinnamon-sugary goodness permeates through the kitchen. Chad came home from work and said the house smelled like Christmas. These would be great as a snack to serve when company is over or even to give out as holiday gifts.
Slow Cooker Cinnamon Almonds Recipe
Adapted fromThe Recipe Critic
Slow Cooker Cinnamon Almonds
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups light brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 1 egg white
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups raw almonds
- 1/4 cup water
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
- In another large bowl, beat together egg white and vanilla extract until frothy. Mix in almonds until well-coated. Coat the almonds with the cinnamon sugar.
- Lightly grease a large slow cooker. Add the almonds and cook on low 3-4 hours, stirring every 20-30 minutes. During the last hour, stir in 1/4 cup water until the sugar turns from powdery to syrupy.
- Use a slotted spoon to spread out the almonds in a single layer on parchment, separating the almonds as much as possible with a fork. Let cool and store in an airtight container.