This Slow Cooker Creole Chicken and Sausage recipe comes together easily with chicken, Andouille sausage, a variety of vegetables, and creole seasoning. You are ten minutes of prep and three hours on high heat (or 6-8 hours on low heat) away from a comforting and spicy meal.
I recently had a request to share more slow cooker recipes, so here is a Slow Cooker Creole Chicken and Sausage dish perfect for the Mardi Gras season or any time of year. Don’t hesitate to contact me with your requests, be it a certain cuisine, region, or even a specific dish. I would love to hear from you!
Chicken, Andouille sausage, onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic, chicken broth, creole seasoning, and lots of tomatoes (diced tomato, tomato sauce, and tomato paste) are combined in a large slow cooker and set to high heat for 3 hours or low heat for 6-8. After cooking, the chicken breasts are removed and shredded before adding back to the stew. Pair with rice or another desired grain and top with fresh parsley and sliced green onions immediately before serving.
For the creole seasoning, you can either use prepackaged or make your own. The great part about making a homemade version is that you can adjust the seasonings to taste, particularly the spice level. I combined a mixture of the following (you will only need ~1 1/2 tablespoons- store the rest in an airtight container):
- 1 1/4 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 3/4-1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
Looking for more recipes from Louisiana?
Slow Cooker Creole Chicken and Sausage Recipe
Adapted from Pinch of Yum
Slow Cooker Creole Chicken and Sausage
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts
- 12 ounces smoked Andouille sausage sliced into bite-size pieces
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 green bell pepper stem and seeds removed, chopped
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons creole seasonings
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley
- 3 green onions sliced
- Steamed white rice for serving
- In a large slow cooker, combine the chicken, sausage, onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic, tomatoes, chicken broth, tomato sauce, tomato paste, creole seasoning, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper.
- Cover the slow cooker and set to high heat for 3 hours or low heat for 6-8 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred with two forks or a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Add back to the creole mixture. Taste and season with additional creole seasoning, salt, or pepper if needed.
- Serve hot with rice or desired grains and top with parsley and green onions.