A recipe for Slow Cooker Creole Chicken and Sausage! This easy slow cooker meal comes together with a flavorful combination of chicken, Andouille sausage, vegetables, and creole seasoning.
I recently had a request to share more slow cooker recipes, so here is a Slow Cooker Creole Chicken and Sausage dish perfect for the Mardi Gras season or any time of year.
Don’t hesitate to contact me with your requests, whether it is a certain cuisine, region, or even a specific dish. I always love to hear from you!
Everything for this meal comes together in the slow cooker with only about 10-15 minutes of prep. No extra pots or pans required! Chicken, Andouille sausage, onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic, chicken broth, Creole seasoning, and lots of tomatoes (diced tomato, tomato sauce, and tomato paste) are simply combined in a large slow cooker and set to high heat for 3 hours or low heat for 6-8.
After cooking, the chicken breasts are removed from the crockpot and shredded before adding back to the stew.
Pair with steamed white rice or another desired grain and top with fresh parsley and sliced green onions immediately before serving.
A Few Tips
Andouille is a spiced pork sausage from Louisiana. I have been able to find it smoked in the sausage section of most larger grocery stores. If unavailable, substitute with a Polish smoked sausage and adjust the seasonings as needed.
Omit the cayenne pepper and adjust the Creole Seasoning as desired for less heat.
For the Creole seasoning, you can either use prepackaged or make your own. The great part about making a homemade version is the ability to adjust the spices to taste, particularly the heat level.
I combined a mixture of the following (you will only need ~1 1/2 tablespoons- store the rest in an airtight container):
- 1 1/4 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 3/4-1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
Looking for more recipes from Louisiana?
Slow Cooker Creole Chicken and Sausage Recipe
Adapted from Pinch of Yum
Slow Cooker Creole Chicken and Sausage
- 1 pound (450 grams) boneless chicken breasts
- 12 ounces (340 grams) smoked Andouille sausage sliced into bite-size pieces
- 1 medium onion peeled and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper stem and seeds removed, chopped
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 can (15 ounces, 425 grams) diced tomatoes
- 2 cups (470 milliliters) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup (120 milliliters) tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons (44 milliliters) tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Creole seasonings
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup (6 grams) freshly chopped parsley
- 3 green onions sliced
- Steamed white rice for serving
- In a large slow cooker, combine the chicken, sausage, onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic, tomatoes, chicken broth, tomato sauce, tomato paste, Creole seasoning, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper.
- Cover the slow cooker and set to high heat for 3 hours or low heat for 6-8 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred with two forks or a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
- Add the shredded chicken back to the mixture. Taste and season with additional Creole seasoning, salt, or pepper if needed.
- Serve hot with rice or desired grains and top with parsley and green onions.