A recipe for Smažený Vepřový Řízek (Czech Breaded Pork Cutlet)! Thin pieces of pork are coated in flour, egg, and breadcrumbs, then pan-fried until golden.
While Schnitzel may be one of the most well-known of the breaded meat cutlets, the Czech Republic has an equally delicious version made with pork known as Smažený Vepřový Řízek or simply Řízek.
Slices of pork are pounded until thin, coated in flour, egg, and breadcrumbs, then fried until crisp and golden. This particular recipe calls for vegetable oil, but they can also be fried in pork fat.
Serve the Řízek hot with fresh parsley, lemon slices, and mashed/boiled potatoes (vařené brambory) or potato salad (bramborový salát).
Some recipes call for marinating the pork cutlets in lemon juice for up to 30 minutes before breading.
This dish can also be made with chicken- Smažený Kuřecí Řízek. I came across another interesting variation from The Czech Guide to Cooking called Holandsky Řízek (Dutch Schnitzel). Instead of a pounded pork cutlet, ground pork is mixed with gouda cheese, breaded, and fried until golden. It isn’t actually a Dutch dish, but gets its name from the addition of the gouda cheese.
If you are looking for something meat-free, try Smažený Sýr- breaded and fried cheese (Edam, Hermelín, or Niva) served with tartar sauce, lemon, and potatoes.
If you somehow happen to have leftover Řízek, they are quite delicious as a sandwich filling.
Looking for more recipes featuring pork?
- Xiao Long Bao (Chinese Soup Dumplings)
- Chorizo Mac and Cheese
- Bún Thịt Nướng (Vietnamese Grilled Pork with Rice Noodles)
Smažený Vepřový Řízek (Czech Breaded Pork Cutlet) Recipe
Adapted from Czechmate Diary
Smažený Vepřový Řízek (Czech Breaded Pork Cutlet)
- 4 pork cutlets
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Potatoes boiled, mashed, or salad
- Lemon slices
- Fresh parsley
- Cover a sturdy work surface with plastic. Add a pork cutlet, then top with another piece of plastic. Pound the pork until it is 1/4 inch thick. Repeat with other cutlets.
- Add the flour to a wide, shallow bowl. In another bowl, beat the eggs with the water and salt. Add the breadcrumbs to a third bowl.
- In a large skillet, add the vegetable oil over medium heat.
- Coat a pounded pork cutlet in the flour, then the egg. Let the excess egg drip off, then coat thoroughly in the breadcrumbs. Fry in the hot oil until golden, then flip to cook the other side, 3-4 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining pork.
- Serve hot with potatoes, parsley, and lemon slices.