A recipe for a homemade S’mores Latte! Add toasted marshmallow syrup and chocolate syrup to espresso and steamed milk for a fun start to the day.
A few months ago, I shared a recipe for a homemade Toasted Marshmallow Syrup to use as the base for this S’mores Latte. It is now one of my favorite ways to enjoy coffee when I am looking for something a little more rich and decadent.
Espresso or strongly brewed coffee is simply combined with the marshmallow syrup and chocolate syrup, then topped with milk. If desired, garnish with additional toasted marshmallows or even decorate the rim of the glass with milk chocolate and graham crackers.
Before pouring in the espresso, I decorated the rim of the glasses with melted milk chocolate and crushed graham crackers. Place milk chocolate chips in a wide, shallow bowl and microwave in 20 second increments until smooth. Evenly dip the top of each glass in the milk chocolate to coat and lightly shake off the excess. Immediately cover the milk chocolate with finely crushed graham crackers. For quicker results, I crushed the graham crackers in a food processor.
I now have an espresso machine to froth the milk. Without one, steam the milk by heating it (on the stove or in the microwave), transfer to a frothing pitcher, and use a handheld milk frother to create the right consistency. If using a non-dairy milk, it won’t steam as well without a professional espresso machine.
Without a handheld frother, cold milk (nonfat to 2% is best for stable foam, but won’t be as rich) can be shaken in a tightly sealed jar (no more than a third filled), then microwaved to set the foam or heated and frothed in a French press (pump for about 10 seconds, be careful not to overfill) or whisked vigorously while hot.
I usually add 1 tablespoon of the toasted marshmallow syrup and 1/2 tablespoon of chocolate syrup (I used store-bought) to really let the marshmallow flavor shine. For more of a chocolate kick, bump up the chocolate syrup to 1 tablespoon to taste.
Looking for more coffee-based drinks?
- Maple Cinnamon Latte
- Einspänner (Viennese Coffee with Whipped Cream)
- White Chocolate Espresso Martini
S’mores Latte Recipe
Adapted from Kitchen Concoctions
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) toasted marshmallow syrup
- 1/2 tablespoon (7 milliliters) chocolate syrup store-bought or homemade
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) hot espresso or strongly brewed coffee
- 3/4 cup (177 milliliters) milk steamed, dairy or non-dairy
- Toasted marshmallows for garnish
- Pour the toasted marshmallow syrup and chocolate syrup in the bottom of a mug or heat resistant glass. Pour in the hot espresso and stir to thoroughly combine.
- While holding the mug slightly to the side at a 45˚ angle, slowly pour the steamed milk in the center to fill the mug and add a thin layer of the foam to the top.
- Serve immediately topped with toasted marshmallows if desired.