A recipe for Spaghetti Pie! Spaghetti is layered with ricotta, a mushroom meat sauce, and mozzarella cheese, then baked until golden for a delicious and comforting meal.
I first came across the inspiration for this Spaghetti Pie over on Kudos Kitchen by Renee and it has become such a fun and comforting way to use spaghetti and other ingredients I often have on hand.
Spaghetti noodles are cooked until barely tender (they will cook further in the oven), coated in an egg Parmesan mixture, then pressed into the bottom of a deep pie pan or skillet. The noodles are then covered with a layer of ricotta cheese, followed by a mushroom meat sauce, and finally even more cheese. The casserole is baked in a 350˚F (180˚C) oven until heated through and bubbly, then served in slices.
I usually like to pair the Spaghetti Pie with simply a light green salad. This dish is best warm from the oven, but leftovers can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
A Few Tips
Take care to not overcook the noodles while boiling. They should be just barely tender and will cook further in the oven.
The meat sauce can be prepared a day or two in advance and refrigerated in an airtight container until ready to assemble and bake. Don’t like mushrooms? Swap out for diced carrots, bell peppers, or simply omit. For even more flavor, I sometimes like to use half ground beef and half crumbled Italian sausage in the sauce.
Grease the pan well with butter or olive oil before arranging the layers. This will help keep the noodles from sticking and create more crisp edges.
Try to resist cutting into the Spaghetti Pie straight from the oven. Allowing it to rest for 10-15 minutes will give everything time to settle and make it easier to more cleanly slice into wedges.
I assembled the ingredients in one deep 12 inch (30 cm) oven-safe pan. If you only have smaller pans, the ingredients can be split into two separate 6-8 inch (15-20 cm) pans.
Looking for more Spaghetti-based recipes?
This recipe was originally posted in February 2014 and updated April 2021.
Spaghetti Pie Recipe
Adapted from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- 1 pound (450 grams) dried spaghetti
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) olive oil
- 1/2 cup (40 grams) freshly grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) olive oil
- 1 yellow onion peeled and finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 pound (450 grams) ground beef
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 8 ounces (227 grams) cremini mushrooms thinly sliced
- 25 ounces (709 grams) marinara sauce
- 15 ounces (425 grams) ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley plus more for garnish
- Pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces (227 grams) shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup (20 grams) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
To make the Spaghetti base:
- Grease a deep 12 inch (30 cm) pan or oven safe skillet with butter or oil. Preheat oven to 350˚F (180˚C).
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add spaghetti and cook until almost al dente, but not quite tender. Drain well and set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) olive oil, and 1/2 cup (40 grams) grated Parmesan. Add the slightly cooled spaghetti and toss to coat well.
To make the meat sauce:
- In a large skillet, drizzle olive oil over medium high heat. Add the chopped onion and cook, stirring often, until softened. Stir in the garlic and cook until just fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Crumble in the ground beef and cook, stirring to break up into small pieces, until browned. Season with oregano, basil, salt, and pepper.
- Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and most of the liquid has evaporated. Stir in the marinara sauce, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer for 15 minutes to thicken slightly and allow the flavors to blend.
To make the ricotta layer:
- In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, parsley, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Spread the coated spaghetti across the bottom and sides of the prepared pan, pressing gently to cover in an even layer.
- Spread the ricotta mixture over the spaghetti. Pour in the meat and mushroom sauce in an even layer. Cover with shredded Mozzarella and another 1/4 cup (20 grams) Parmesan.
- Cover the pan with foil or an oven-safe lid and bake in preheated oven until heated through, about 30 minutes. Remove the foil or lid and bake until cheese is melted and bubbly, another 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest at room temperature for 10 minutes before garnishing with additional parsley, slicing, and serving.