Most of our mornings are spent outside lately, especially on the weekends. I don’t have a lot of time to spend making breakfast, but still like to occasionally make something special. This Strawberries and Cream French Toast Casserole is prepared the night before and refrigerated, so in the morning I only have to put it in the oven and it is ready in less than an hour.
Day old, slightly stale bread is best. I used homemade french bread. With the peak of strawberry season, this would make a great breakfast for the upcoming July 4th holiday (Updated photos on May 10, 2017: It would also be perfect for Mother’s Day brunch!).
A reader brought up the delicious idea of mixing in cubes of cream cheese.
Strawberries and Cream French Toast Casserole Recipe
Adapted from Pink Parsley
Strawberries and Cream French Toast Casserole
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sugar + 1 tablespoon divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 cups cubed day old French bread
- 1 1/2 cup sliced strawberries divided
- Lightly grease a 9 inch round or square baking dish.
- In a large bowl, add eggs, milk, cream, 1/4 cup sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. Whisk until well combined. Fold in the bread and 1 cup of the sliced strawberries. Pour into the greased baking dish, cover, and refrigerate 8 hours to overnight.
- Remove casserole from refrigerator and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place remaining 1/2 cup strawberries evenly over top of casserole.
- Bake in preheated oven until set and top begins to turn golden, 35-45 minutes. During the last 10 minutes in oven, sprinkle the top with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Let sit 10 minutes before slicing and serving.