Strawberry Nutella Galette recipe for #BakingBloggers! This rustic dessert has a flaky pastry crust base filled with a layer of Nutella and topped with fresh strawberries.
This is my second time participating in #BakingBloggers (I first joined in February with this Cinnamon Roll Cheesecake)! Created by Sue of Palatable Pastime, #BakingBloggers get together monthly to vote on a different baking project. Galettes and Fruit Tarts won for May!
Strawberry Nutella Galette
I am joining in with a recipe for a Strawberry Nutella Galette. I have only made a galette once before (Red and Blue Star Galette), but it is such a fun way to prepare fresh summer fruits with less effort compared to other pastries. No specialty pans are needed and this is a great place to start if you are new to working with pie crust. Little tears or imperfections when folding over the dough are no big deal and even encouraged to create more of that rustic look. Since my birthday is tomorrow, I went with one of my favorite flavor combinations- strawberries and chocolate (Nutella).
To help bring out the flavors of the fresh strawberries, I tossed them with sugar and lemon juice. I also added a little cornstarch to absorb some of the juices that get released during cooking. This helps keep everything mostly inside and prevents the bottom from becoming soggy along with the layer of Nutella. To add a little color and texture to the crust, I brushed an egg wash around the edges and sprinkled it with raw or turbinado sugar before baking.
To serve, I drizzled the Strawberry Nutella Galette with even more Nutella and paired it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Microwave the Nutella briefly, about 20 seconds, to make it easier to drizzle.
The dough can be made up to three days in advance, wrapped, and refrigerated until needed. After filling with the fruit and baking, the Galette is best the day it is made.
See what everyone else made for the event!
Fruit Tarts and Galettes
- Apple Amber Tart by Sid’s Sea Palm Cooking
- Apple Tartlets with Almond Crunch by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Classic Key Lime Tart by Hardly a Goddess
- Lemon Tart by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Oatmeal Fruit Tart by Cookaholic Wife
- Strawberry Nutella Galette by Tara’s Multicultural Table
Strawberry Nutella Galette Recipe
Adapted from Handle the Heat
Strawberry Nutella Galette
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoons unsalted butter chilled and diced
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 pound fresh strawberries
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Pinch salt
- 1/4 cup Nutella or favorite chocolate hazelnut spread
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon water
- Raw sugar for sprinkling
- Nutella for drizzling
To make the crust:
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt. Cut in the butter using a dough blade, your fingers, or forks until the mixture becomes coarse with no pieces larger than a pea.
- Mix in the egg yolk and slowly add water until until the dough comes together. Form the dough into a disc, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
To make the filling:
- Hull the strawberries and slice in half (or quarters for the larger strawberries). Place in a large bowl and toss with the sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, and pinch salt.
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Line a large or circular baking sheet with parchment.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the chilled dough into a thin circle about 12 inches wide. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
- Spread the Nutella across the middle of the prepared dough, leaving a 2 inch border around the edges. Use a slotted spoon to remove the strawberries from the bowl and arrange over the Nutella.
- Fold the clean dough edges over the filling around the circle, leaving the center open.
- Beat the egg yolk with the 1 teaspoon water. Brush the egg wash along the exposed edges of dough. Sprinkle with the raw sugar. Bake in preheated oven until the crust is golden, about 30 minutes.
- Allow to rest for 5-10 minutes before serving. Drizzle with additional Nutella if desired.