New Orleans Brandy Milk Punch in celebration of #SundaySupper Easy Mardi Gras Recipes!
Disclaimer: This recipe contains alcohol. It is intended only for those over the age of 21 (in the United States). Please drink responsibly.
With Mardi Gras on Tuesday, #SundaySupper is getting together with a collection of easy recipes to celebrate. Marion of Life Tastes Good is hosting this week and I am sharing a recipe for New Orleans Brandy Milk Punch. This cocktail originated at Brennan’s in New Orleans and is now popular throughout the city (and even the country- I came across it recently at Bayou Bakery in Arlington, Virginia). Equal parts of milk and cream are shaken with brandy, vanilla, and powdered sugar until smooth and creamy. Season with a little freshly grated nutmeg before serving.
Most recipes I have come across use a simple syrup to sweeten the cocktail. I liked the idea of using powdered sugar for an easier version. It blends right into the drink. The types of milk/cream may also differ. I used equal parts of milk and heavy cream. Some use half-and-half in addition to the milk. Others use more cream or just milk. No matter what the combination, this Milk Punch is a wonderful addition to your Mardi Gras brunch festivities.
Looking for more variations? I came across this version from Arctic Garden Studio that uses cognac and strawberries.
Check out what everyone else made for the event!
- Andouille and Crawfish Pimento Cheese Fries by Soulfully Made
- Hot Louisiana Shrimp Dip by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Mardi Gras Muffaletta Dip by For the Love of Food
- Piquant Shrimp Balls by Food Lust People Love
- Trinidadian doubles by Caroline’s Cooking
- Andouille and Chicken Gumbo by Delaware Girl Eats
- Bananas Foster French Toast by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Bananas Foster Baked Oatmeal by Cooking With Carlee
- Blackened Shrimp Pasta by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Cajun Courtbouillon by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Cajun Pasta Carnivale by Palatable Pastime
- Chicken and Shrimp Gumbo by The Freshman Cook
- Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta by Wholistic Woman
- Creole Beef and Rice Bowls by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Easy Shrimp and Grits Recipe by Life Tastes Good
- Gluten Free Gumbo by Cricket’s Confections
- Gumbo Z’herbes by Monica’s Table
- Hawaiian Jambalaya by Shockingly Delicious
- Overnight Muffuletta Sandwich by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Slow Cooker Jambalaya by The Crumby Cupcake
- Spicy Jambalaya Flatbread by My Life Cookbook
- Tenderloin Grillades with Cheesy Grits by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Vegetarian Muffaletta Sandwich by Hardly A Goddess
- Creole Potato Salad by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Easy Buttermilk Cornbread by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Muffaletta Wedge Salad by Shaken Together
- New Orleans Brandy Milk Punch by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Not So Dirty Rice by Simple and Savory
- Red Beans and Rice by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Bananas Foster by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Basic Bread Pudding by What Smells So Good?
- Bourbon Vanilla Cherries Jubilee by Pies and Plots
- Mardi Gras Cheese Ball by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Easy Mini King Cake Bites by Family Around The Table
- New Orleans Mardi Gras Beignets by Big Bear’s Wife
- Pecan Praline Cookies by Sunday Supper Movement
- Traditional Mardi Gras King Cake by Curious Cuisiniere
- White Chocolate-Raspberry Bread Pudding by Gourmet Everyday
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday!
We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement?
It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
New Orleans Brandy Milk Punch Recipe
Adapted from Boulder Locavore
New Orleans Brandy Milk Punch
- 2 ounces whole milk
- 2 ounces heavy cream
- 1-2 ounces brandy
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Ice cubes
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- In a cocktail shaker, add the milk, cream, brandy, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract. Add about 3-5 ice cubes and shake well to combine.
- Strain into a glass, with ice if desired. Sprinkle with a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg and serve immediately.