Since July is National Hotdog Month, #SundaySupper is celebrating with a roundup of Hamburger and Hotdog recipes! This week’s event is hosted by Christie of A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures. My recipe may not include the grill, but Salchipapas are a great way to prepare hot dogs Peruvian-style.
Salchipapas (literally sausages/salchichas and potatoes/papas) originated in Peru, but have also become a staple in Colombia, Ecuador, and Bolivia. They are available through street vendors, fast food locations, and as kids’ meals. Thinly sliced beef hot dogs or sausages are sautéed (or fried), then tossed with french fries. The accompaniments vary by country, but I served mine with a sprinkling of parsley and ketchup, mustard, aji amarillo paste, and mayonnaise for dipping. Other sauces such as a green chile sauce or salsa rosada (a creamy tomato mayonnaise) are also popular.
I thinly sliced the hot dogs into ovals, but have also seen them cut crosswise into thirds with small crosses cut into each end. If desired, the hot dogs can be fried in the oil instead of sautéing in the pan. Fry the potatoes twice (after they have thoroughly cooled the first time) for an extra crispy texture.
If you don’t want to deal with frying the potatoes, you can use frozen french fries and bake them right before tossing with the sausages. It won’t be quite the same, but will decrease the amount of oil and effort.
Aji Amarillo (Yellow Chili) is a bright orange chile with about the same heat level as Tabasco or Cayenne on the Scoville Scale. In addition to heat, it also has a bit of fruitiness. I was able to find Aji Amarillo Paste in the Peruvian section of the International market. I have also seen it in the international section of larger supermarkets like Wegmans. You can sometimes find the chilies dried or frozen. If you can’t find it locally, it is available on Amazon (but for a more expensive price): Zócalo Peru Aji Amarillo Paste Organic, 8 Ounce.
Check out what everyone else made for the event:
All American Burgers & Dogs
- BLT Burgers by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Bourbon BBQ Bacon Burger Sliders by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Bourbon Onion Bacon Dog by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Chicago Style Hot Dog by The Culinary Compass
- Copycat Guberburgers by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Idaho Dogs by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Philly Cheesesteak Dog by Palatable Pastime
- Pimento Cheese Burger by Magnolia Days
- Southern Seasoned Beef Burger by April Go Lightly
- The Best Ever Bacon, Egg and Cheese Burger by The Chef Next Door
- The SmashBurger by Monica’s Table
- Whiskey Burgers by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Burgers by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chicken Parmesan Burgers by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Chicken Satay Burger with Peanut Sauce by Baking Sense
- Chicken Tikka Burgers by Sunday Supper Movement
- Miso Glazed Chicken Burgers by Sew You Think You Can Cook
Worldly Burgers & Dogs
- Blue Cheese Burger with Fig Jam by Garden Matter
- Caprese Burgers by The Redhead Baker
- Cheddar Stuffed Taco Burger by My Life Cookbook
- Dominican Chimichurri Burgers by The Crumby Cupcake
- Guacamole Cilantro Lime Cheeseburger by Life Tastes Good
- Hot Dog Maki Roll by kimchi MOM
- Meatball Parmesan Burgers by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Portuguese Hamburger by Family Foodie
- Salchipapas (Peruvian Sausages and Potatoes) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Smoky Sliders with Chipotle Mayo by Cooking on the Ranch
- Spicy Shishito Dog by Brunch-n-Bites
Where’s the Beef Burgers
- Baby Back Rib Burger by The Freshman Cook
- Brown Rice & Lamb Burgers with Spinach by Wholistic Woman
- Fish Taco Burgers by Pies and Plots
- Greek Lamb Burgers with Blistered Tomatoes and Tzatziki Spread by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Miso Tuna Burgers by Caroline’s Cooking
- The Perfect Lentil Burger by Food Lust People Love
Where’s the Bun Burger
- Gluten Free Dessert Hamburgers by Gluten Free Crumbley
- How to make Salmon Burgers with Mango Salsa by Asian In America
- How to Pan-fry Bratwurst by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- The Ultimate #SundaySupper Hamburger and Hotdog Wine Pairing Guide by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Salchipapas (Peruvian Sausages and Potatoes)
Adapted from Peru Delights
Vegetable oil for frying
2 russet potatoes
4 beef hot dogs or sausages
Freshly chopped parsley
Aji Amarillo Paste
Fill a deep saucepan with at least 2 inches of the vegetable oil and place over medium heat. Cover a large plate with paper towels and set aside.
Peel and cut the potatoes into fries 1/3-1/2 inch wide, then pat dry. Once the oil is heated to about 350 degrees F, add the potatoes in batches. Fry until golden and transfer to the towel-lined plate.
In a large pan, drizzle about 1 teaspoon oil over medium heat. Thinly slice the hot dogs into ovals and add to the heated pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through and golden. Add the fried potatoes, tossing to combine.
Serve hot with a sprinkling of parsley and ketchup, mustard, aji amarillo, and mayonnaise for dipping.