With St. Patrick’s Day in a few days, #SundaySupper is getting together to celebrate healthy green foods. Christie of A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures is hosting this week and I am sharing a recipe for Gambian Spinach with Peanut Sauce. This incredibly flavorful and healthy meal comes together quickly with only a handful of ingredients and a few minutes on the stove. I used spinach as the base, but other greens like kale, collards, turnip, or cassava will work nicely. After simmering on the stove until wilted, the greens are coated in a thick peanut sauce and served with rice.
The moisture from cooking the spinach created plenty of liquid for the sauce. If the mixture is a bit too dry, add a little more water with the peanut butter.
The spinach leaves I used were larger, so I roughly chopped them. If you use baby spinach or smaller greens, cutting may not be needed.
A few recipes I came across also included a little tomato paste or lemon juice.
Check out what everyone else made for the event:
- Get Your Greens Smoothie by Hardly A Goddess
- Green Breakfast Omelet Bites by Momma’s Meals
- Green Eggs and Ham by Feeding Big
- Green Scrambled Eggs with Ham by Cricket’s Confections
- Kuku Sabzi – Persian Herb Frittata by Caroline’s Cooking
- Matcha Overnight Oats by Brunch-n-Bites
- Southwest Breakfast Spinach Wrap by The Freshman Cook
- Super Green Smoothie by Simple and Savory
Must Make Main Dishes
- Chicken Paillard Arugula Truffle Salad by Family Foodie
- Gambian Spinach with Peanut Sauce by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Grilled Lettuce and Steak Salad by Sunday Supper Movement
- Pan Roasted Cod on Spinach Basil Risotto with Lemon Butter Sauce by Positively Stacey
- Poached Cod with Pesto Wine Sauce by Life Tastes Good
- Potato Leek Skillet Pizza by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Sautéed Garlic and Parmesan Chicken With Spinach by My Sweet Savings
- Skinny Reuben Wraps with Homemade 1000 Island Dressing by For the Love of Food
- Tequila Chicken Salad by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Brussels Sprout and Kale Salad by Pies and Plots
- Green Goddess Bibb Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Pixie Dust Salad with Avocados, Pixie Tangerines and Radishes by Shockingly Delicious
- Quinoa Tabbouleh by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Sesame Wedge Salad with Key Lime Vinaigrette & Pickled Green Tomatoes by Gourmet Everyday
- Shades of Green Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Zucchini Carpaccio Salad by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Colcannon by Wholistic Woman
- Green Goddess Dip by From the Bookshelf
- Grilled Cabbage with Spicy Lime Dressing by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Irish Cabbage by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Miso Roasted Broccoli by Life Currents
- Pistachio Parmesan Oven Fries by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts by Books n’ Cooks
- Soy Glazed Sugar Snap Peas by Food Lust People Love
- Spinach Tots by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Warm Brussels Sprout Slaw by Jersey Girl Cooks
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Gambian Spinach with Peanut Sauce Recipe
Gambian Spinach with Peanut Sauce
Adapted from Global Table Adventures
1 tablespoon peanut oil
1 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large tomato, diced
1 pound spinach leaves
1/4 cup natural unsweetened peanut butter
Salt and pepper to taste
Ground cayenne pepper to taste
In a large skillet, drizzle peanut oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened. Stir in the garlic, then the tomato. Cook until the tomato begins to soften and add the spinach. Cook, stirring often, until wilted.
Mix in the peanut butter and cook until it melts into a sauce. Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne. Serve immediately with rice.