A recipe for homemade Toasted Marshmallow Syrup! Toasted marshmallows are combined with a simple syrup for a flavorful addition to coffee and other favorite drinks.
Since making the Vanilla Bean Syrup a few months ago, I have been playing around with other homemade flavors and this Toasted Marshmallow Syrup has regularly made it into the rotation. It is great on its own stirred into coffee, but I am also using it as the base for an upcoming recipe for a S’mores Latte! This recipe yields a little over one cup of syrup which has been perfect for 1-2 people over a couple of weeks.
Granulated sugar and water are simmered together to form a simple syrup, then combined with miniature toasted marshmallows. After whisking until smooth, the mixture is removed from heat and allowed to cool to room temperature. Do not stir it at this point. You want the syrup to separate and form a foamy layer on top. Strain this and discard the foam/toasted pieces before mixing in the vanilla extract and a small pinch of salt. Transfer the syrup to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to two weeks.
For 1 cup of coffee, I usually add about 1-2 tablespoons of syrup. Adjust the amount as needed to taste. It is also delicious in hot chocolate, cocktails, and milkshakes.
I made the Toasted Marshmallow syrup with mini marshmallows to get as much toasted flavor as possible (and it was easier to simply spread out in one layer instead of turning the larger ones), but you can also switch them out for about 6-8 larger marshmallows that have been toasted on all sides. Make sure to whisk the marshmallows into the hot syrup until completely melted and smooth before removing from heat.
Looking for more recipes with marshmallows?
Toasted Marshmallow Syrup Recipe
Adapted from Crumb
Toasted Marshmallow Syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- In a medium saucepan, combine the water and granulated sugar. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook, whisking occasionally, until the sugar is dissolved and the liquid is starting to thicken slightly, 10-15 minutes.
- While the syrup is simmering, arrange the miniature marshmallows in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet and broil until well toasted.
- Reduce the heat on the simmering syrup to low and scrape in the toasted marshmallows. Whisk until the marshmallows are fully melted and smooth. Remove from heat.
- Allow the syrup to cool to room temperature. Do not stir at this point to allow the syrup to separate.
- Strain the syrup through a fine mesh sieve, whisk in the vanilla extract and small pinch of salt, then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.