A recipe for Tomato Mozzarella Gratin! Pieces of lasagne noodles are layered with sliced tomatoes and mozzarella cheese, then baked until golden.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you.
I found this recipe for Tomato Mozzarella Gratin (Tomaten-Mozzarella-Gratin) in a small pasta cookbook I picked up in Germany a few years ago.
Lasagne noodles are broken into large pieces, then arranged with slices of tomatoes and mozzarella. After baking until the cheese is melted and the tops of the noodles are golden, the gratin is served with fresh basil leaves. I added a drizzle of balsamic reduction as a personal touch. It was not included in the original recipe, but I like the extra burst of color and flavor it provided.
I used heirloom tomatoes, but any large, ripe tomato will work well.
If you want to add the balsamic drizzle, you can make your own or find it in the vinegar section of larger grocery stores. To make your own:
- Whisk together 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar and 1 tablespoon honey in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Once the vinegar comes to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has reduced by half. Keep an eye on the reduction when it really starts to thicken to keep it from burning, especially on the bottom and sides of the saucepan.
- Remove from heat once the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon and hold its shape when drizzled on a plate.
Looking for more recipes featuring tomato and mozzarella?
Tomato Mozzarella Gratin Recipe
Adapted from Die besten Ideen für Pasta
Tomato Mozzarella Gratin
- 300 grams (10 1/2 ounces) Lasagne noodles
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup olive oil divided
- 600 grams (21 ounces) large tomatoes
- 250 grams (8-9 ounces) fresh mozzarella
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 small bunch fresh basil
- Balsamic reduction for drizzling optional
- Break the lasagne noodles into pieces (3-4 for each noodle).
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the broken lasagne noodles and cook, stirring occasionally to keep them from sticking to the bottom. Cook until al dente, just tender. Drain and lightly toss in about 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Cut the tomato into about 1/4 inch thick slices. Cut the mozzarella in about 1/4 inch thick slices too.
- Preheat oven to 425˚F. Grease an 8x8 inch baking dish with olive oil. Add half of the cooked lasagne noodles to the bottom of the pan. Arrange the tomato slices, noodles, and mozzarella slices at a semi-upright angle over the bed of lasagne noodles so all the parts are showing- tomato slice, noodle, mozzarella slice, noodle, until the baking dish is filled.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake in preheated oven until cheese is melted and the tops of the noodles are starting to turn golden, 12-15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with basil leaves before serving and drizzle with balsamic reduction if desired.