A recipe for Homemade Vanilla Bean Syrup! With simply sugar, vanilla beans (or vanilla extract), and water, you can make your own vanilla syrup in less than 20 minutes to flavor coffee and other favorite drinks.
I recently ran out of flavored syrup for my coffee and took the opportunity to try making my own. This was also the perfect way to use up a couple of vanilla beans that were starting to dry out. I’m so happy with the results!
Granulated sugar, light brown sugar, water, and scraped out vanilla beans are simmered for 10-15 minutes to create a slightly thickened, flavorful syrup. After removing from heat, allow the mixture to cool to room temperature, discard the vanilla pods, then transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
I made the syrup using the vanilla beans I had on hand, but you can also swap for vanilla extract in a pinch. If using the extract, wait until after the sugar has dissolved and the pot is removed from heat before it mixing into the liquid (about 4-6 teaspoons).
I have been using this Vanilla Bean Syrup to flavor lattes, but it is also delicious in cocktails, lemonade, cream sodas, and other drinks. For 1 cup of coffee, I add about 1-2 tablespoons of syrup. Adjust as needed to taste.
I personally like the addition of brown sugar to add an extra depth and richness to the syrup, but you can also stick straight to granulated sugar. Add 2 cups of the granulated sugar for 2 cups of water. This will create a lighter color.
This recipe makes about 2 1/4 cups of Vanilla Bean Syrup. It can easily be halved to yield a little over a cup (best if making for 1-2 people).
Looking for more recipes featuring vanilla?
Vanilla Bean Syrup Recipe
Adapted from My Baking Addiction
Vanilla Bean Syrup
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 cups water
- 2 vanilla beans or 4-6 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan, combine the granulated sugar, light brown sugar, and water. Split the vanilla beans and scrap the seeds into the pan. Whisk to combine and add the pods (if using vanilla extract, do not add until after simmering the syrup).
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook, whisking occasionally, until the sugar is dissolved and the liquid is starting to thicken slightly, 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat (if using vanilla extract, stir in at this point) and allow to cool to room temperature. Discard the pods, transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.