Recipe for a Watermelon Yogurt Cooler! An easy watermelon slush is layered with yogurt and flavored with lime for a light and refreshing drink.
Whenever I cut up a watermelon to use in a recipe or snack on, I always end up with a decent amount leftover. I usually dice up the remaining and place in the refrigerator for a couple of days or transfer to the freezer for smoothies, but have been looking for new ideas.
I first came across this Watermelon Yogurt Cooler on Casa Veneracion. Her daughter was actually the one to come up with it. Pureed, icy watermelon is layered with plain yogurt for a quick and refreshing drink. It is such a great way to use up any extra watermelon you may have or cool off on hot summer days.
I used the watermelon slush base from Damn Delicious. The lime juice and zest is optional, but I thought it added a nice touch to complement the watermelon. You can even turn the drink into a cocktail with a splash of vodka or rum (21+ in the United States, please drink responsibly).
I added a few drops of vanilla extract to the yogurt for a little extra flavor. Depending on the season and sweetness of the watermelon, you may not need to add any sugar at all. Adjust the amount to taste. If desired, swap the sugar for yogurt or your favorite sweetener.
To assemble the Watermelon Yogurt Cooler, you can layer the yogurt with the watermelon slush or just swirl it all together.
Looking for more recipes with Watermelon?
Watermelon Yogurt Cooler Recipe
Watermelon Yogurt Cooler
- 2 1/2 cups diced seedless watermelon
- Juice of 1/2 lime optional
- 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup ice
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract optional
- Lime zest for garnish
- In a blender, combine watermelon and lime juice if using. Taste and add sugar to taste. Add the ice and pulse to a slush consistency.
- In a small bowl, whisk vanilla extract into yogurt. Season with sugar if desired.
- Spoon the watermelon mixture between two serving glasses, alternating with spoonfuls of yogurt. Top with a sprinkle of lime zest. Serve immediately.