Tali Murghi (Fried Chicken)
A recipe for Tali Murghi (Fried Chicken) from the cookbook, Indian Regional Cooking.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 5 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Servings 4 Servings
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces/180 grams) dried bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup (2 1/2 ounces/75 grams) all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds ground
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds ground
- 1 teaspoon Nilgiri's Garam Masala
- Vegetable oil for shallow frying
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces/125 grams) plain whole-milk yogurt
- 1 1/2 pounds (750 grams) chicken tenderloins cut in half lengthwise if large
- Lemon wedges for serving
In a large plastic bag, combine bread crumbs, flour, salt, chili powder, coriander, cumin, and garam masala. Toss well to combine.
Pour oil to a depth of about 4 inches (10 cm) in a deep, heavy saucepan and heat to 350 degrees F (180 C) on a deep-frying thermometer.
Meanwhile, put yogurt in a bowl and whisk until smooth. Dip a few pieces of chicken into yogurt, shaking off excess. Add to bread-crumb mixture and toss to coat. Place on a plate and repeat with remaining chicken, yogurt, and bread-crumb mixture.
Carefully add a few coated chicken pieces to hot oil. Cook, turning occasionally, until golden brown, 4-5 minutes. Using tongs or a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate lined with kitchen paper.
Serve hot with lemon wedges and a tomato, onion, and cucumber relish.