Cachorro Quente (Brazilian Hot Dog)
A recipe for Cachorro Quente (Brazilian Hot Dog)
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 8 Hot dogs
- 1 pound ground beef
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 hot dogs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 8 hot dog buns or French rolls
- 2 cups shredded Mozzarella
Additional Topping Ideas:
- ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, corn, peas, shoestring fries, mashed potatoes, lettuce, olives, grated carrots, bacon bits, tomato and parsley vinaigrette, Catupiry cheese and/or Parmesan
In a medium bowl, mix ground beef with salt, pepper, and cumin.
Make a lengthwise slice along the top of each hot dog no more than halfway through the link. Place in a large saucepan and add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat. Keep in water until they have doubled in size.
In a large pan, drizzle oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and bell pepper. Cook, stirring often, until they begin to soften and the onion becomes translucent. Add the garlic and cook just until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the ground beef. Once browned, mix in the tomato paste, broth, and thyme. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low. Cover partially and let simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Add the lime juice and cover to keep warm until ready to assemble the hot dogs.
Place a cooked hot dog link in each bun. Top with 2-4 tablespoons of the beef mixture, then shredded cheese. Add additional toppings if desired. Serve immediately.